First Short Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #1
New Boot

First Short Film

Greetings, folks!

It's amateur hour in the video community. Filmed and edited in a couple of hours.
Soundtrack is not original. Credit goes to Harry Gregson-Williams.

Camera was a little Canon ZR800 (SD) with a home-built stabilizer.
Edited with Premiere Elements 7

I'd love any feedback. I know it's not great, but I also want to learn to make things better.
That being said, the proverbial flame suit is on.

Personally, what I loved about this project was how limited I was. I had minimal control over the image since the ZR800 lacks most manual controls and had no lights or reflectors and was thereby forced to adapt my shooting style to the poorly-lit environment over which I had very limited control.

It was definitely a challenge, but one I enjoyed.
It made me wish I had a better camera, though, that's for sure.

What I would do differently:
Lots of things, but to start:
1. There was zero color correction in post. A couple of slight contrast adjustments was all I did. I kinda threw the project together, but kinda liked the darker/grittier look as well. Taking time to do a little correction would have probably been a good idea.

2. Better effects auto. The opening is a little treble-ly and doesn't sound great.

3. An original sound track
Eric Knopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Eric,

I think, considering what you had to shoot with, [no pun intended :)] you didn't a bad job.

Story was a bit loose....right to the end.....then bingo, it fell into place.

I could say a lot about it but what I'm going to say is;

Save your money, buy the best gear you can afford, i.e., look for quality, not quantity. If its going to take an extra month to get the $$$$ together to enable you to get what you need, hang out that extra month.

I reckon you'll do OK.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work