DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Music video shot with an iPhone 4. Impressive results! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/486872-music-video-shot-iphone-4-impressive-results.html)

Todd Giglio October 31st, 2010 07:09 PM

Music video shot with an iPhone 4. Impressive results!

Hi All,

A while back I had been posting about my feature film DRAWING WITH CHALK (which is finishing up the festival circuit and will have a theatrical opening in NYC in March 2011). But now I'm here to show you my latest work. Last Sunday we shot a music video for our band The Turnback (in support of our debut album and soundtrack for the film). We shot on the iPhone 4 (on zero budget). I have to say that the results were very impressive. Check it out for yourself:

YouTube - Beyond Belief by The Turnback (shot on the iPhone 4)

Hope you enjoy!

Todd

Chuck Spaulding November 1st, 2010 01:03 PM

I have such mixed emotions about this, first, great job, I liked the song, but on an iPhone 4??? It certainly doesn't look like it was shot on an iPhone.

The problem is that Apple will use this to market the iPhone video against the Red and win...

Good luck with the the album.

Todd Giglio November 2nd, 2010 10:31 AM

Thanks Chuck,

All we need now is a lens adapter for the iPhone 4 :)

Ivan Martinez November 5th, 2010 05:55 PM

Dude excellent work man, IPHONE 4, all i can say is WOW, i am an IPHONE FREAK, now i really will never leave the iphone world...Nice all the way around!

Todd Giglio November 12th, 2010 12:22 PM

Thanks Ivan,

Yeah, I couldn't be happier with the iPhone 4. I also forgot to mention that I shot the entire day without having to recharge the phone too. Nice piece of equipment!

Jem Moore November 16th, 2010 03:03 PM

Hey Todd, excellent video work...as a musician/video guy myself, I know how much is involved on both sides, and you've really got something good goin' on. I hope the feature gets released and I get to see it! I guess we're really 21st Century now, shooting something like this on a phone, for cryin' out loud...

Todd Giglio December 4th, 2010 10:24 PM

Thanks Jem,

We have high hopes on the feature (we open theatrically in NYC on March 25th, 2011) and I hope the CD will be release shortly before that (we are currently in the final mixing stages). Also, the Beyond Belief music video was recently listed as one of the 10 Compelling Music Videos Shot on the Apple iPhone so we are getting some notice.

Yeah it is amazing what we can do with very little...

I hope you do get a chance to see Drawing with Chalk (you will TOTALLY GET IT!!)

Todd

Harry Simpson October 7th, 2011 01:38 PM

Re: Music video shot with an iPhone 4. Impressive results!

Todd,

nice music too. Was the audio recorded using Zoom H4n or did you just used good prerecorded audio?

I've just ordered the iPhone 4S and this looks like it could suffice along with other audio synced in post.

Great work! How many iPhones? lotsa takes?

Harry

Chris Medico October 7th, 2011 02:21 PM

Great job on the video.

I use my iPod Touch to shoot interviews from time to time. :)

Todd Giglio October 28th, 2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Simpson (Post 1687127)
Todd,

nice music too. Was the audio recorded using Zoom H4n or did you just used good prerecorded audio?

I've just ordered the iPhone 4S and this looks like it could suffice along with other audio synced in post.

Great work! How many iPhones? lotsa takes?

Harry

Thanks! We actually put up the first iPhone 4S video too. Much better improvement over the iPhone 4 camera (aside from resolution, the iPhone 4S's global shutter is much more responsive; less wobble).

Take a look:

FIRST OFFICIAL iPHONE 4S 1080p MUSIC VIDEO - Cellophane Sky by The Turnback - YouTube

Thanks and have fun with the iPhone when you get it!

Todd

Todd Giglio October 28th, 2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1687139)
Great job on the video.

I use my iPod Touch to shoot interviews from time to time. :)

Thanks Chris!

Todd Giglio November 1st, 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Simpson (Post 1687127)
How many iPhones? lotsa takes?

Harry

For the iPhone 4 video we had just one phone, and many takes. All shot in one day (factory and club). The phone battery held up pretty good (with only being on a charger between locations (about 15 min).

For the iPhone 4S we had 2 phones.

Wendy Sarrett November 2nd, 2011 07:58 PM

My goodness Todd, you did get *very* impressive results with the iPhone 4 camera! Had you not told us I never would have guessed. Enjoyed the song as well! I'm going to send the youtube link to my Brother (AV Geek/iOS user) as he'll also be impressed.

Todd Giglio November 7th, 2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendy Sarrett (Post 1693489)
My goodness Todd, you did get *very* impressive results with the iPhone 4 camera! Had you not told us I never would have guessed. Enjoyed the song as well! I'm going to send the youtube link to my Brother (AV Geek/iOS user) as he'll also be impressed.

Thanks Wendy!

Jay Kavi November 7th, 2011 11:03 PM

Looks great! I just got an iphone 4s so im really excited now! Using B&W and the editing really make the whole piece work.

I'm feeling the band's sound too.