DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Bridges of Minneapolis- looking for critiques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/486900-bridges-minneapolis-looking-critiques.html)

Patrick Leong November 1st, 2010 02:42 PM

Bridges of Minneapolis- looking for critiques

A 2.5 min video montage, featuring some experimentation with timelapse, shot with Panasonic GH-1.

Looking for critiques, thanks.

Jeremy Doyle November 2nd, 2010 09:29 AM

That actually made me miss my time living in the cities. Thanks for that.

Patrick Leong November 2nd, 2010 08:27 PM

You're welcome Jeremy, glad I could bring a little slice of Mpls to you:)

Scott Brickert November 5th, 2010 09:46 PM

What was it you were hoping to say with the piece?

I found the music a bit too strident and repettiittiive for the visuals.

It seemed a bit overstuffed. If you trimmed it down to more poignancy, I bet it would have more impact.

Lots of beauty out beyond the lens, and working the lens and camera as well.

Do another :)

Hank Ebert November 10th, 2010 03:05 PM

I like your 8th shot better than the one you opened with. I also would like to see some more telephoto shots and quickened the pace a bit. Otherwise, very nice job and it make me want to visit---but not in the winter.

Patrick Leong December 4th, 2010 02:14 PM

A unique way to present video on the web

The video- originally hosted at Vimeo, is now part of a larger, hyper immersive 360° VR presentation:

Click here to visit, thanks for watching.

Pat L

Hamish Reid December 4th, 2010 04:24 PM

I missed this the first time around, but I'm glad I caught it this time -- I really enjoyed it, despite it not being my normal cup of tea. No comments about the soundtrack -- my sound system is disabled at the moment -- but visually, nicely stylized, it kept me interested the whole way through (a real achievement, given I'm supposed to be editing and rendering at the same time), and as someone else said (and as someone for whom anything east of Colorado and west of New Jersey is a bit of a mystery :-)), it made me want to see the place in real life...

Richard Gooderick December 7th, 2010 01:50 PM

I wondered what it was about too.
Bridges of Minneapolis or an experiment with time lapse - strung together?
There were some timelapse shots that I didn't care for eg the boat coming out of the lock followed by the shaking leaves. Both would have been better in real time I believe.
It seemed a bit random. It would probably be improved if you took a hatchet to it in the editing room and focused it more on the theme suggested by the title.
There is some sort of narrative line inherent in the material. At the moment it seems driven by technique and is a bit opportunistic.
Having said that, most of it looks lovely.