My First Wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My First Wedding

This is the first thing I've ever been paid to film. I had a great time. Shot on a Canon t2i. More info on my gear if you follow the Vimeo link.

Old November 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

any comments?

i know some of the 50mm shots were shaky and audio wasn't too good. any more advice on how this could have been better? or what was good about it?
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jamie,

You already know the audio was a bit scratchy, I'm assuming it was shot with an on camera mike. Keep an eye open on the classified of this forum or Ebay and see if you can pick up a better mike.

As you said, you've got some shake in your shots, there's two ways to counter this, 1] practice, practice, practice hand held, if you can master it it'll give you huge freedom. 2] Purchase a Merlin or similar, doesn't need to be new, Ebay or the classified on here will do, then practice, practice,practice....using it.....

Get to know your camera position in relation to the focal length your using, it'll save you chopping off the top of peoples heads!!!!! Maybe tape a couple of pieces of white cotton across the LCD / viewfinder to make up a set of cross hairs, this will give you a reference position and may make it easier to keep the camera steady.

The flowers at 0:50, you need to be very careful of focal shift, use manual focus for these shots.
I'd have left out the take from 1:58 to 2:01, she looks like she's have a Bridezilla moment!!!!!!! lol

Keep at it, your getting paid, more than some others achieve......

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback! It was very helpful and I'll definitely take your advice.

Whoops, that's the second comment about that bridezilla shot :o I didn't notice it while editing...I probably should have left that out, haha.

Thanks again!
Old December 12th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Jamie

Getting paid to film makes filming a whole lot more fun.

I agree with Alan it is just a matter of practice. Although the couple will not notice if you really get their emotion- I think for weddings its almost the most important factor.- to really get the emotion into the camera close up. - You might want to think about using a paparazzi trick of not actually looking down the lens all the time but to make eye contact while shooting. ie. If you smile, they will often smile back probably thinking you are not shooting, or even thinking about the camera.
There is a little moment at the end of the film with the cake cutting onwards where I think you capture them/their personalities really well.

Anyway I hope that helps, good luck
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Sophie, I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you for watching and for the advice.
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The color and shooting angles are great. However, the shakiness is REALLY bad. It makes the piece so amature. Did you not have OIS on or you are using a lens without OIS?
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

most of the shots were with a 50mm because it's the only good low light lens i have, and a 50mm on a cropped sensor camera is equivalent to an 80mm, so it makes it nearly impossible to be steady. there's no form of image stabilization.
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Those shaky scenes were shot during the day. maybe time to invest another lens? =)
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

yes, a new lens is desperately needed!
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm using a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8. The zoom range is okay but it did reception low light well.
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I think I'm going to go with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 with vibration control, because I HATE shaky footage.
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Yeah OIS is important. The Sigma I have also has OIS. I don't like Tamron because the zoom ring and focus ring direction is different than my other Canon lens. I will be all disoriented.
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hmm, I might go with the Sigma then. Because I wouldn't like having to focus differently either. I wonder if the OIS on the Sigma is equal to the vibration control on the Tamron.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Inner Circle

VC and OIS are the same thing I would day. They like to use different terms to confuse people =)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work