Aqua at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 7th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Tourist

Aqua

The task at hand was simple. I was given just over a weeks notice, a choice from about a dozen beautifully composed songs by Stephan Moccio, and total creative freedom when it came to the concept.

After listening to the song on repeat for hours on end one evening, this is what I came up with.

It sure wasn't easy to make this video, there were a lot of struggles. Finding an olympic size pool was the greatest struggle. But finding actors, working on a limited timeframe and budget were also other contributing factors.

Regardless of what happened, I'm still pretty happy with the results. It was a fun shoot, and I'm thankful for the help I got.

Please give honest feedback. I want to know what I can do to improve.

Old December 8th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Mark,

Obviously I'm getting too old for the music, not that I didn't enjoy it, I just couldn't see the connection between audio and the visuals....However......the video, I liked it. I think it was well shot, good use of a slider, giving movement to and otherwise fairly static surrounding. Focus shift, good use of this as well, once again enlivening a static scene. Some good wide angle shots and good use of close ups. Good lighting control at 1:11, the eyes have got a twinkle. Good shift at 1:19. Lots of other good stuff!!!!

One thing, and it may have been intentional, watch your light, it's very hard [as in lack of depth in the light] you're running on the overexposed side in the pool and also some shots in the class room. Your camera doesn't have the electronics to match the optical centre of your brain and therefore can't compensate to the extent you can. Over large bodies of still water, like the pool, one has to deal with refracted light, I'm guessing this was shot on a DSLR, stop it down by maybe half a stop. Ignore this paragraph if the effect was intentional.

Overall, I liked it.

Keep it up, I think you can do well.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work