DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Reel 2010 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/488720-reel-2010-a.html)

Ed Burnett December 10th, 2010 12:35 AM

Reel 2010

My Camera Operator, Videography Reel for 2010:

Noah Yuan-Vogel December 10th, 2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Burnett (Post 1596933)
My Camera Operator, Videography Reel

Is it not your cinematography reel? The title card mentions cinematography but in your post you dont mention it.

Anyway, I really like some of the shots in there. Looks like you shot in some beautiful places, and the shots on the beach have a great look to them. My only concern is that there is only one scene in there that is an interior (with the shotgun) and it appears a bit too over-graded to me. Clearly you can find great shots in exterior situations, but do you have any shots that showcase your lighting skills? That would be of importance for being hired as a cinematographer, but maybe not so much as a videographer/camera operator, so maybe you dont need it.

My only other thought is that it would be helpful to have a little more context for some of the scenes, clearly some of the shots in your reel are set up (car mount, boat, etc) but too many look great but seem like they could just be shots you got walking around, not for a job. If you can add any diversity to the shots and a bit more evidence that you are a working professional. Half of them seem like they could be shots you just took while traveling, and most of them look like they may have just been for the same project. I would expect you would want people who are considering hiring you and are looking at your reel to feel comfortable hiring you for something that isnt a south asian documentary. That certainly doesnt take away from the fact that you clearly have a great eye for composition and color in exterior available light situations.

Keep in mind that I'm a DP so I may be looking at your reel a bit from the wrong angle.

What camera(s) and lenses did you use?

Ed Burnett December 10th, 2010 10:56 AM

Hi Noah, thanks very much for your kind words and suggestions.

The clips with the actor & shotgun are part of a narrative project I worked on as operator, I did not grade them and have no access to the original ungraded images -- so in this case just had to work with what I had. I agree that it may be a bit much as it stands -- but I do know that the grading was intended as part of the story they were conveying.

The rest of the images are from my own projects. The Jeep shots for instance are from a documentary I am directing and shooting, but have not yet made public. Due to the subject matter and sensitive locations I need to keep things relatively under wraps. When it's ready to begin marketing I'll be able to release more contextual shots, which will no doubt dispel any notion that they were shot in my driveway or on vacation. :) For now they are there for some movement and variety.

Everything shown here was shot on 5D Mark II's and 7D. Lenses include the 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50mm 1.4, 24-105 4.0L, 16-35 2.8L.

This is the first official reel I've put together, and as such it's more of a beginning rather than the finale. But, everyone has to start somewhere. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and comment. I will happily incorporate some of your suggestions into future edits.