My latest Show Reel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
New Boot

My latest Show Reel

My latest show reel highlighting some of the projects I have shot over the last year. Including corporates, promos, commercials and short films. Shot on Z1, Canon 550D and various other Sony cameras. Feedback welcome!

Enjoy!
Dan
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #2
New Boot

Feedback

If you have had opportunity to watch my show reel it would be great to get some feedback, good or bad!

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Daniel, I really like the picture quality you had in this footage. You are certainly doing the right thing!
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #4
New Boot

Thank you

Thank you for your kind words Russ!
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm certainly no expert on demo reels and they are so personal that there's not much good that comes from critiquing them, at least for the viewer. Which is probably why you don't get a lot of feedback on 300 views.

I think the music was kind of an odd choice, not fast enough to really move the pacing along and too fast to create a more thoughtful look. It appears that you grouped shopping, school and music scenes etc., together, you have a good diversity of shots but there were shots of the school that weren't that good plus I'm not sure you needed the shots of the Collectible store at all, they just didn't compare to the other shopping shots, especially the Jordon shots immediately following it.

One thing that I noticed is that color grading is all over the place, I realize these are samples from different projects but you might consider color timing and/or re-arranging the shots so that there isn't such a dramatic difference between scenes. I think that would help it flow better.

I realize this is all personal preference, it mostly matters who your giving this to. Also, I only critiqued this because you asked people to give you some feedback. I watched it when you first posted it and I didn't think it was bad but at the same time it didn't inspire me to provide any feedback then. That might tell you more about it than what I said previously.

Your obviously a talented person and there some good stuff in your reel but I'm not convinced the reel does your work justice. That's not a bad problem to have, there are a lot of reels out there that are good demo reels but show marginal work.

I hope this helps.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #6
New Boot

Thank you

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for taking the time to feedback, it is much appreciated.

I will definitely take on board your points when I next update my reel!

Also, thank you for your kind words too, you can also see some more detailed show reel pieces on my website that give a better idea of individual projects etc.

Cheers,

Dan
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #7
New Boot

feedback

Hi Daniel

First of all let me tell you where the feedbacks come from so it'll help you decide how relevant the comments are: I work as a professional editor for a major network cutting promos, trailers and sizzle reels. So short formats, along the line of your reel.
You did a very good job! You are obviously a talented DP. Your composition and your shots look very nice.
One the other hand, I can tell you are an one-man-bad: you are not a professionel editor, so your reel isn't as good as you could make it. And again, this has NOTHING to do with the quality of your work.
If I may offer suggestions, the main one would be to keep your reel way shorter.
I saw a lot of repeats, especially with the interviewees. As an exemple I would point out the shot of the girl with a pinkish polo shirt. Her CU doesn't add anything to your reel.
I would also keep the talking heads in a same section, so we understand that you do interviews. I would also try as much as possible to stay away from people talking on camera, since there is no audio.
I would keep together those nice wide shots of the various locations. You do have really nice ones.
And finally I would work on the music. I actually have two tracks. I would start with a punchy track to set up who's Daniel and what he does. And then I would find something that isn't too too specific so you can appeal to a wide range of customers: from stores, to churches, to businesses, to local rock bands, etc...
Then I would have more specific reels I would submit to clients showing interest depending on their professional field.
I hope this helps.
And again, nice job!

Xavier

Last edited by Xavier Pilsudski; January 25th, 2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: forgot notification
Xavier Pilsudski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work