Netflix vs. Babies Commercial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Netflix vs. Babies Commercial

Hello everyone, my name is Michael Rees. I am 15 years old and found a contest to make a commercial for Netflix. The commercial had to emphasize the fact that you can instantly stream movies and TV shows straight to your Netflix device. I wrote, directed, shot, and edited this short commercial in just one afternoon. My cousin Ryan, who is 14, handled sound and other various key jobs to pull this one off.

Writer/Director/Editor/DP: Michael Rees
Sound Engineer and Assistant Everything: Ryan Rees
John: Thomas Boudreaux
Wife: Rachel Rees (Ryan's sister)

Camera: T2i
Lenses: 28-135, 50mm 1.4
Edited with Final Cut Studio 3
Color Correction in Color

We used three point lighting for all of the shots of the husband. And as for the grocery store footage goes...that was all rushed big time. Mainly because we didn't have permission :). No lighting was used other than just the store's lights for that scene.

http://www.poptent.net/media/38827

Last edited by Michael Rees; January 10th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Michael Rees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Trustee

Good job. Do you know how well you did in the contest?

The only recommendation I have is regarding color grading. Interestingly, although the lighting in the store was flat it didn't look that bad, the lighting in the living room and where she was looking at the test strip appeared to warm with too much chroma.

Did you use Color? Try color balancing the clips so that there's not so much of a difference between shots, this should also help it flow a little better.

You guys did a good job on this, I sure couldn't do that when I was fifteen, well in my defense when I was that age Apple or Microsoft didn't exist yet. I'm pretty sure we had electricity though...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work