Tango - a suburban-noir short film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tango - a suburban-noir short film

My debut as a fiction director, done with the help of an amazing cast and crew. I directed and edited, let me know how I did, thanks.

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Good job both directing and editing!

A better sound mix will definitely help the suspense a bit, but other than that it's a good piece of work. Make more!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Simple and effective. Nicely lit.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments, I would love to make the sound mix better, where should I start? We had trouble with the boom (lack of real film boom) so there are some rumbles throughout. Do you think I should have added a subtle background score? Thanks again for leaving comments, they really help.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem Moore View Post
I would love to make the sound mix better, where should I start? We had trouble with the boom (lack of real film boom) so there are some rumbles throughout. Do you think I should have added a subtle background score? Thanks again for leaving comments, they really help.
could rerecord the dialogue. maybe use cleaner audio from different takes if you have (for shots when you can't see their lips moving).
i'm not so sure it needs a background score but i do keep imagining the classic slasher-movie 'heartbeat' thing, particularly around the close-up of the eye bit.
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem Moore View Post
Do you think I should have added a subtle background score?
Masking bad sound with unnecessary sound/music is only going to make it worse.

If your recorded sound is unusable, try looking at other takes (if any) to see if you can salvage 'better' sound.

Are you going to show it on a large screen or festival? If yes, the only option is to ADR and Foley. Then do a good mix. However, if you're sticking to the internet or DVD, leave it as it is and move on. It's okay.
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, I had a gut feeling that adding a score would hurt more than help. I'll leave it alone at this point, there are no real clean takes and the ones I picked work the best for the film anyway. Since this is my first short film, I view the whole thing as an educational experience. Lesson #1: Use a real mic boom. It's only a mistake if you do it twice, right? Thanks for the suggestions and comments, I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to help out.
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

josh bass

Here's another friendly tip. . .whatever mic you use, GET THAT SUCKER CLOSE! Too often I see people with mics on boompoles with the mic 6 or more feet from the speaker's mouth. That guy really wants to be close in. . .almost as close as you can get it without getting it in the frame. If you're at even two feet you're probably too far.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work