Very Dark Ballet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Very Dark Ballet

I shot this ballet put on by a small local dance studio. It's a combination of the Nutcracker and the Nightmare Before Christmas. The director wanted it very dark. At times the only lighting used in the whole theater were from 4 black lights placed on the stage.

Shot with an EX3 and nanoFlash. Stock lens and max of 6db gain. I mostly tried to keep it at 0db or +3db.

-Garrett
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Major Player

I feel for you, i've done a number of ballet shows in the past and there is no worse lighting conditions. One second it can be black light and the next the full house lights come on and you have to rack the exposure down as quickly as you can then it goes back to black light, its a nightmare. I work alone when i do them so i have a second camera locked off for the wide shot and i have to just pick a happy medium with exposure.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Very Dark Ballet

I'll be pleased if I can achieve the same when the time comes.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gosley View Post
when the time comes.
A bit of advice, dont tell the dance director you can edit the video differently, the one i worked with didn't know the edit could be changed because the previous videographer just gave her the finnished product no questions asked, stupidly i said "are you happy with it because i can re edit parts".....well that spelled two months of her sitting next to me editing it to the way she wanted , seriously she wanted the wide shot for a certain leg movement then back to the close up etc etc.

Moral of the story , keep your mouth shut and just hand in the dvd.
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It is work situations like this that really eliminate a lot of the new era of HD cameras from being a good choice for use/purchase. As a live event shooter one really needs 2/3" SD like light gathering abilities to survive in all shooting environments.

In my opinion even though the lighting is low on purpose, people do not want to see dark video. This is a tough situation to make everybody happy.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work