New Portfolio Website at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
New Boot

New Portfolio Website

Hello,
I recently made the switch to Wordpress for my new website and added a dynamic flash video gallery, several of them actually. I'm trying to go from freelancing into something a little more stable and full time. I would truly appreciate it if you fine folks would take a look at my new site and give me a little feedback, both good and bad, to help me refine the site a bit before I start sending out resumes. Thanks a ton to anyone who takes the time to help me out!
Cheers,
Rob
The site is www.roblyons.ca
Rob Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Major Player

It's got a clean look and easy to navigate interface, but I'm left with a slightly sterile feeling. You personality comes through in your writing, but I'd like to see some more branding (perhaps a logo). Some of the writing is a bit glib, so I'm not sure that you would want to talk about being a 'noob' to attract a corporate client. That being said, they would probably be more interested in a full-blown website with just corporate samples than looking/reading through a blog.
Best of luck to you. With your passion and drive you shouldn't have any problems reaching your goals.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Oren, there are some great points in your critique. I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and share your thoughts! More critiques are more than welcome.
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Good design. I usually always prefer horizontal primary navigation menus over vertical, easier for me to read and navigate.

Because I'm a video person and designer myself, I'm obviously not the person you are necessarily trying to attract to your site. For me, I'm more interested in learning about what you do, your skills, your services, your experience, etc....I clicked on videos and found an overwhelming list. All I wanted to see was your reel or something, maybe embed your reel above the huge video list, or put it somewhere on the homepage.

I like the client list page, very easy to navigate.

The front page looks very cool. For someone looking to find out what you do, it doesn't work very well, but for a blog/community page, it works great.

I think having easy access to a video reel would be my top change.

Nice work though!
Wes
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Wes! I really like your idea of putting a demo reel front and centre on the video page and having the archive lower or elsewhere, that's exactly the kind of suggestion I was hoping to get by posting in here. My domain is actually redirected to /blog so I can post something different than the blog as my home page, so maybe I could put it there. I guess I should probably put a reel together, eight years and I've never been asked for one or a resume. It's definitely long overdue that I make one! Cheers.

Edit: I just checked out your site and it has a very unique design/layout, very cool to say the least!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work