A Man Crazy About Drew Barrymore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 11th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

A Man Crazy About Drew Barrymore

I heard on the news that this lucky guy that has worked his a** off to try to get a date with drew barrymore has made a film on it with a Panasonic GS(unknown) and planed to return it after 30 days to Circuit City, after the ordeal, Circuit City turned the 30 day money back to a 14 day money back with restocking fee, imagine if he had an HC1, that could kill his budget of only $10,000, most of it isin't for equiptment, it's for access passes! Has anyone seen this film? Is this a publicity stunt? Or better yet, anyone in L.A KNOW him!?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #2
Wrangler

Actually I was just reading about this in Fortune Magazine (August 8 issue, "REEL TIME: Blockbuster's Hidden Hit Maker"

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/artic...086924,00.html

I'm not sure if you can read the full article unless you're a subscriber. But it's pretty interesting. Blockbuster has created an in-house production company called "DEJ" and is buying films they find at festivals to release directly to DVD. My Date With Drew is one of them:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0378407/?fr=...Q__;fc=1;ft=20
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Wrangler

A friend of mine met the filmmakers of this movie while promoting her film at a festival a while ago; she recently sent out an email about "Drew", describing it as follows:

"The premise of the movie is simple: 3 friends get $1,100 and one month to get their friend a date with Drew Barrymore. The movie is a documentary of their journey. I thought it would be a sweet, charming little film. But it is so much more. It is heartwarming, suspenseful, surprising and quite moving. It is also an artistic inspiration to know that these guys had a dream, got up off the couch, did something about it, and were able to turn it into a crowd-pleasing movie that is being released theatrically."

Haven't seen it yet myself.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just recently became aware of this film (through it's own ad campaign) and saw that it was playing at the arclight in Hollywood. (Pretty nice theater, they melt a real stick of butter on your popcorn rather than the fake stuff)

Anyway, my personal reaction to this film is ... comical?

It's the ultimate non-film. Like the entire film is about a person who is making a film about a manufactured situation so he can make a film.

Also, the obvious comparison with Super Size Me, and other egocentric new-wave-documentarys causes me to question the films honesty.

And on a final note - the whole goal of the film, getting a date with drew Barrymore, is offensively vapid.

Well - that’s it, not really interested in the film, obviously. I am actually quite angered by the project - just realized it midway through this little post.

I am sure others will have different opinions.

Dean
Dean Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I love it! I will definately rent it when it comes out. The reason for why I like it though is the originality of it.

Yes, it might be compared to Super Size Me, but this is a whole new animal. Gotta love it!
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm always glad to hear about a low budget indie guy making it big, but I am so bored with films like these. Please dear God let this fad end!
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #7
New Boot

I have been praying for reality TV to end and let me tell you it's not working.

This actually sounds interesting. I'll definately keep an eye out for it.
George Miskovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
I heard on the news that this lucky guy that has worked his a** off to try to get a date with drew barrymore has made a film on it with a Panasonic GS(unknown) and planed to return it after 30 days to Circuit City, after the ordeal, Circuit City turned the 30 day money back to a 14 day money back with restocking fee, imagine if he had an HC1, that could kill his budget of only $10,000, most of it isin't for equiptment, it's for access passes! Has anyone seen this film? Is this a publicity stunt? Or better yet, anyone in L.A KNOW him!?
Well, coming from a former CCity employee, the 14 day return/exchange with 15% restocking fee is standard at places like CCity and Best Buy. Whoops!

~Nick Vaughan
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work