Feedback on my last two films at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Feedback on my last two films

Hi all,
Just set up a new website largely to show off my films, rather than as any kind of business. Please take a look at them and tell me what you think:

FILMS

Cheers
Matt
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Feedback on my last two films

80 odd views and not a word.
That bad huh?
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Matt,

Both films (especially 'Love me, Love my Dog), were beautifully done. Well acted and very high production value. Definitely film festival worthy IMO, but some of the festivals won't take films that have been online.

Have you shopped these to festivals yet?
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi ken,
Very kind words. Yes love me love my dog has shown at portobello road fest and kreuzberg festival in Berlin. Have you seen was in competition for virgin shorts. So both have had enough of the circuit, at least for me, to go online. I have a new short in post which is a real step up for me so hopefully that will be getting some festival play soon.
Again thanks, it's nice to hear what people think of the films, sometimes feels a bit like being in a vacuum showing at festivals, whilst not be able to attend most of them.
Cheers
Matt
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Matt,

Good glad to hear that they've been exposed to the circuit. You obviously have a great network of talent there. Make sure you post a link to the new one when it's ready. I was following Robert Sanders at Starway Pictures for the last few years as he progressed from shorts shot on an xl2 to recently watching his feature on Netflix.

Last edited by Ken Diewert; February 22nd, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Trustee

Great work in all departments! You have tremendous potential as a filmmaker.

If you want my advice -
Stop making short films. Write a feature-length script and do it. You don't need any more 'practice'. All the best.

Question: what kind of equipment do you use?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ken
Robert's example does sound pretty inspiring, I'm feeling that it may be time to step up to a bigger project and I do have a few feature ideas in early development. Hardest thing is time and money. But I suppose we're all in that boat. But like you say I do now have a network of people to call upon, all built up whilst making the last few shorts. I'll post in a few months, when my latest short is finished and has done the summer festivals.
Cheers
Matt
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Sareesh,
Thanks for the feedback, it's going to become a guilty pleasure if people keep being so nice.
As I said to Ken a feature has been looming for me, it's just committing to the right project and then getting the time and money to nail it. But yeah I feel I need to move on, thanks for the encouragement.
I shot these shorts on a Canon XH A1 with an SGblade lens adaptor and a bunch of canon fd lenses from the 70's/80's. Sound was all lapel mic's (sony uwp's). Edited on final cut pro, graded on a filmlight baselight.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
Cheers
Matt
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

great work. did you use any of the presets from this site when shooting?
Cynthia Granville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Cynthia,
No I didn't use any of the site presets. I tend to modify existing settings to keep the camera's latitude as wide as possible, with my mind ever focussed on grading. The look of the films is largely achieved through grading rather than in-camera looks.
Saying that I've sold my old rig and am now invested in dslr. But I did love that camera.
Cheers
Matt
Matt Mullins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work