Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 292
Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

YouTube - Georgetown Eagles vs Pflugerville Panthers HIGHLIGHT: Mens Basketball 2011

Feedback?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 95
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

nice image quality.

I did find the "stutter cut" passages distracting in one or two locations as i felt it drew my attention away from or prevented me seeing a final important move/basket.

A couple of thoughts:

Once or twice passages felt a bit "same-y" because it was basket after basket. perhaps you could look at breaking some of this up a little with sections of work on the floor, around the key, etc. Just a thought.

On those segments where the camera follows the ball into the basket from a shot, instead of always panning back from the basket to the shooter, occasionally try pulling wide and catching them running back up the court, just to mix things up a little.

Nice work.

mark
__________________
mark stavar
http://www.swandancer.com.au
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

Hey Tom,

Thanks for sharing. I am going to comment on the image quality as I think you can get an even better image. To start, I think the quality of your videos are high. There is plenty of detail but I think your exposure is set for DVD or television viewing, which leaves the internet view a little under. I have gotten to the point that I make two versions of every project, one set for television and one set for the web.

Here is my workflow: color correct for television viewing on my broadcast monitor, copy the finished clips to another timeline, look at my computer preview window and make a second round of corrections for the internet version. Output two separate files.

It is a cruel world but the color space difference between broadcast (YUV) and comouters (RGB) is just too different to make one master imho. If you already do this then I will just say I think you can increase exposure a bit at times!

Good luck.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 292
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stavar View Post
nice image quality.

I did find the "stutter cut" passages distracting in one or two locations as i felt it drew my attention away from or prevented me seeing a final important move/basket.

A couple of thoughts:

Once or twice passages felt a bit "same-y" because it was basket after basket. perhaps you could look at breaking some of this up a little with sections of work on the floor, around the key, etc. Just a thought.

On those segments where the camera follows the ball into the basket from a shot, instead of always panning back from the basket to the shooter, occasionally try pulling wide and catching them running back up the court, just to mix things up a little.

Nice work.

mark
Thanks Mark, ill be sure to try that next game i film :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Hey Tom,

Thanks for sharing. I am going to comment on the image quality as I think you can get an even better image. To start, I think the quality of your videos are high. There is plenty of detail but I think your exposure is set for DVD or television viewing, which leaves the internet view a little under. I have gotten to the point that I make two versions of every project, one set for television and one set for the web.

Here is my workflow: color correct for television viewing on my broadcast monitor, copy the finished clips to another timeline, look at my computer preview window and make a second round of corrections for the internet version. Output two separate files.

It is a cruel world but the color space difference between broadcast (YUV) and comouters (RGB) is just too different to make one master imho. If you already do this then I will just say I think you can increase exposure a bit at times!

Good luck.
Hey Tim, I like to record sports in 720 60p and at a shutter of 120 ,so my footage often looks a little bit darker than other everyone elses ,that said it was a very poorly lit gym.

That's excellent advice though about the multiple corrections for tv and internet.

As soon as i have enough for a broadcast monitor ill be getting one



Very helpfull cc guys ,extremely appreciated :)
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

Hey Tom,

That is my favorite format as well. If you use a shutter of 1/120th is your camera challenged to keep up with the low light levels?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 292
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Hey Tom,

That is my favorite format as well. If you use a shutter of 1/120th is your camera challenged to keep up with the low light levels?
My first Real camcorder was an hmc 40 and its a 1/4 chip cmos camera.

It took fantastic images in well lit outdoor settings ,but the image quality fell apart in even brightly lit indoor situations. While shooting 720 60p with shutter speeds of 60 or 120

So now I shoot with a pmw 350k. just the stock lens ,and I absolutely love it!

I've attached some screen grabs from an outdoor night shoot , so you can see how it does

720 60p 120 shutter

The first four images have been graded ,the last is the way it looks from the camera with no post work
Attached Thumbnails
Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight-image21.png   Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight-image24.png  

Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight-image13.png   Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight-image29.png  

Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight-image15.png  
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

I bet you are happy with the images. Do you pickup any rolling shutter during your athletic filming that you notice?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 292
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I bet you are happy with the images. Do you pickup any rolling shutter during your athletic filming that you notice?
I do have rolling shutter problems fairly often ,a common time when i notice it is when im zoomed in on the other side of the court and panning as the ball is passed ,but for the most part ive learned how to minimize its effects and keep it to an unobtrusive level.

That said as soon as i can make the move to a ccd camera i will :p
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
Re: Eagles vs Panthers Mens Basketball Highlight

I prefer CCD. Too bad the CMOS cameras out in this generation read too slow or do not have a global shutter to reduce or eliminate this effect for high motion shooting.

But "normal" people do not notice this stuff, especially coming from a very nice camera like the 350.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network