DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Black rhino translocation by means of a helicopter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/493765-black-rhino-translocation-means-helicopter.html)

Björn Rehder March 29th, 2011 10:19 AM

Black rhino translocation by means of a helicopter

For the first time in Namibia black rhino are being translocated by means of a helicopter.
WOW! Challenging filming conditions!! Dust and Static discharge were some of the minor problems.....

Check video at:

Comments are highly appreciated.

Lorinda Norton September 29th, 2011 11:39 PM

Re: Black rhino translocation by means of a helicopter

Everyone wins!! Well done. I can only imagine the harsh and challenging filming environment because you all made it look easy.

Every time I had a question about the process or the purpose it was answered. You covered all the bases. One of the officials was a bit hard for me to understand because of his accent, but eventually, everything I wanted to know came through.

Telling you, though, it looked pretty freaky seeing the rhino flying through the air upside down! Loved the quick shot of the donkey-copter, by the way. :)

Thanks for sharing! It's always inspirational seeing win-win solutions for man and animals.

Sanjin Svajger October 1st, 2011 03:16 AM

Nice and interesting film. On occasions maybe a little to dramatic (with the helicopter, and the editing and the music), but all in all it's a great little film. The title is also great. Maybe the old guy didn't have to say at the end that they came full circle (it's obvious). There was one shot that I kinda remembered that I think it looked kinda you were mocking them. The voice over said something like "these are professionals who..." and the picture at that time was 5 or 6 guys tumbling the rhino up the hill, which doesn't look like professional work at all... I laughed at that moment, saying to my self "haha professionals yeah":)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1685523)
Loved the quick shot of the donkey-copter, by the way. :)

So I'm not the only one who raised an eyebrow at that moment:) Donkey-copter!!!:)

Björn Rehder October 1st, 2011 11:40 AM

Many thanks for the kind comments.
Sanjin: If you meant “It takes a team of dedicated experts” (your reference to “something like "these are professionals who..." then trust me... It really takes a team of experts because that terrain is totally inaccessible to vehicles and given the critical timing from darting to reaching the animal and caring for the Rhino is a matter of minutes. Not to forget that we’re talking about 1.3 tonnes here.
Definitely no intention of mocking these folks!! We take conservation very serious here.
Maybe watch the “On The Move” and “By the people, for the people” (also on the Vimeo site) video as well and I trust you will understand.
As for being dramatic... It that was the first time something like this (with helicopter) was done in Namibia. It was pretty darn exciting for everyone.
We nearly “lost” two cams under the chopper at one stage because of static electricity building up under the downwash. (insert praise for cam model here).
LOL! Yes the donkey copter was just such a cute shot that somehow it I had to include it. Well spotted!!

Again, thanks for comments.