A short for your appreciation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A short for your appreciation

Hi,

Last weekend we participated in the 48h Film Project. It was a fun challenge and we actually got to do an interesting story. I wrote and directed this and I really wanted some opinions of this group. Note that this was made in 48h, so a few flaws should be present (it'd be weird if it weren't).

Here's the link, please help me with your opinions

YouTube - PHOTOMATON

Thanks!
David Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: A short for your appreciation

No comments? I really wanted some opinions here. Anyone had problems listening to the audio? Cause in my account it says it's protected with copyright in some countries.

Thanks!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What a fun, upbeat short. I think the locations, your actress and the music selection all combined to capture the budding of a young romance without any words at all. You've shown that a picture can say a thousand words and help move a storyline along quickly and effectively.

On the technical side, your exposure and color, for the most part, seem good. Some of the blown out backgrounds, however, took me out of the fantasy and reminded me of the technical limitations you were working with (i.e. equipment). Probably as good as you could ask given only 48 hours. I'm actually surprised you achieved so many setups and locations in so little time. Highly commendable and very enjoyable.

Also, I had no problem listening to the audio (in the U.S.).
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for your comments! :) I agree with you on the limitations, but I guess a big part of them had to do with the little time we had. I've been dealing with exposure problems for too long now... do you know any good solution (filters,...) that could solve exposure problems? There are some shots in my movie that have that problem, but you can clearly see the problem at 5.29m.

Thanks for your help!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:34 AM   #5
New Boot

David - I'm no expert filmmaker (30 yrs of stills experience tho and lots of experience of directing people) so I'll defer to Clark's technical observations.

However from my pov I loved the sponteneity you've managed to achieve - and I have to say thats got a huge amount to do with the enthusiasm of your two leads, they really bring a sense of fun to the parts, and real passion too.

Now given the time constraints that must have been a hectic schedule, and to keep these folks that enthused is a tough task, but you've pulled that off really well. It's really easy to forget that good cinema is as much about getting the best from people, as much as any technical aspect.

Loved the variety of shots and angles and also the little details that for me brought a sense of authenticity to the piece - yes its a fantasy love story but its also about a place thats alive and vibrant with life and it would have been so easy to lose that sense of place by either making so much fuss as a 'crew' that the focus was on you, or by excluding the little 'extras' that make the shots alive......the legs in the balcony at 4.30 with feet tapping for example, or the people on the terrace at 6.27 - gives a sense of the 'real' to it, life going on around the developing romance.

I thought it was a lovely romantic chase, with well chosen music, and the audio here in UK sounded just fine.
John MacPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I thought it a great little film, quirky, good ending. I think the pace could have been faster in the middle, there's afew minutes in there where the story is not really developing and we're seeing more and more chase.

Other than that - great. Well done.
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Nice! I honestly got caught by the story, it's fun, and forgot all about technical glitches.

There is one logical glitch on the story line though: First he has a problem getting a photo, and suddenly he has a DSLR. Then why all the trouble finding the Photomaton?

So to keep the story you could have had him trying to chase her, trying to figure out where from she'll appear next time and have him try to pose only to get more silly photos - until the end.

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work