DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Canon t2i Test Videos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/496772-canon-t2i-test-videos.html)

Robert James June 4th, 2011 03:48 PM

Canon t2i Test Videos

At the end of last year I picked up a Canon t2i. It didn't work. Due to how many people wanted this camera I had to wait until mid-February for a replacement. Then it snowed. Rained. Anything to keep me inside. To be honest, I was intimidated by the camera. I never shot on a DSLR and it seemed so confusing. I've posted a lot here to get around my fears, learn new stuff and get out there shooting.

The purpose of these test videos is to get me comfortable with:
a) the camera and it's various settings
b) editing and different techniques

My sister's wedding is in August. She wants me to shoot it. More tests to come. Sorry Vimeo folks. Some of my vids are too big for there so I just used my Youtube Links:

Winter's End
YouTube - ‪Winter's End - A Walk In The Hills Of Gatineau‬‏
(This was my first test with the camera outside of some quick inside stuff. I was using the Kit Lens and the 55-250mm zoom lens. I was also trying out my new Manfrotto Monopod which was not as easy to use as I'd like)

Don't Go In The Basement
YouTube - ‪Don't Go In The Basement (1976) - Official Trailer‬‏
(This was more an editing test an an entrant in a fake trailer festival here in my city. I was trying to create the Grindhouse effect with Sony Vegas as well as test the camera more for night shots. Again, this was done with the Kit Lens)

Nightwalk .1
YouTube - ‪Nightwalk .1‬‏
(Purchased one of the better reviewed lenses in my budget, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, and took it out for a walk at night. Loved it. The prime lens, of course, was much easier to use and though focus was a bit of a knacker to figure out I enjoyed the quality this lens gave for just over $100)

Nightwalk .2
YouTube - ‪Nightwalk .2‬‏
(See above. Two walks edited into 2 vids testing out the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens)

Indieslidin' - Cats'n'Lions
YouTube - ‪indieslidin' - Cats'n'Lions (Testing the IndiSlider mini)‬‏
(After much agonizing over purchasing a slider, something I never heard of until joining this forum for tips, I took the advice of one poster here who said "seems like a lot of money for one trick" and purchased the cheapest slider I could find. I still haven't experimented much with it. Is isn't perfect, of course, has a few issues with sticky motion and a few takes are needed and, sadly, the tripod I just picked up doesn't seem as sturdy to hold things without a firm hand on the slider to prevent wobble but, for a first test, I was happy and glad I didn't spend $$$ for one of these)

Carnival of the Depressed
YouTube - ‪Carnival of the Depressed‬‏
(Taking all three lenses out to this sad little fun-fair to get used to switching lenses on the fly. I still favored the 1.8. Shot for a more cinematic look. Again, not impressed with the monopod as I can't seem to hold it still. This video made me purchase a Pearstone Video Tripod which should help with that in the future. "graded" a few of these shots, my first tests with that in Sony Vegas)

Walking With Mom
YouTube - ‪Walking With Mom‬‏
(This one is a much more personal project. My mother passed a few years ago and loved the local tulip festival, My sister and I took one of the small urns we placed her ashes in for a walk with us to see the flowers. It turned into this video, mainly for her. Not really testing anything in this one.)

And there she goes. Some future ideas are going for a bit more of a narrative and am also thinking of starting up a short web-series on local events that don't get the coverage they should.

The adventure continues with this camera...

This week's obsession: LENSES!