DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Sony FS100 Music Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/502770-sony-fs100-music-video.html)

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 17th, 2011 09:27 AM

Sony FS100 Music Video

I recently did the DOP on this music video, directed by Boran Richard:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9P46G_BuQ

Artist: Patrice Michaud (Patrice Michaud | Le triangle des Bermudes)
Song: Des trous dans les bas

It's in french. The title, Des trous dans les bas means Holes in the socks. In fact, it's about doing something with your life. Go do something with your life, go make some holes in your socks.

We worked with two very talented professionnal dancers and a choregrapher.

The video mix differents techniques, some standard footage, some slow motion, and some stop-motion animation. The animated parts was shot with a 5D MKII. We used the technicolor Cine Style profile in the 5D and the technicolor Abel Cine scene file in the FS100 and it was pretty easy to match the two cam during color correction.

We used a bunch of lenses:

Sony 18-200, Sony 16mm pancake, Tokinon 11-16, Samyang 35mm and 85mm, Nikkor 50mm Teh two main lenses used was the Tokina and the Samyang 35mm.

Please comment or ask questions! It's the first time I am asked to work on a music video, so I am really interested by your comments!

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 17th, 2011 12:10 PM

Re: Sony FS100 Music Video

The original file have been deleted by the producer for a weird reason, but it's now back online. I edited the link in the first message.

Enjoy!

John Threat November 18th, 2011 08:52 AM

excellent work!

I dug it a lot - i like a ton of the composition of frames and the actors dancing and emotions

And of course I loved the stop motion stuff that reminded me of Norman McLaren's work on Neighbors
neighbours stop motion - YouTube

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 18th, 2011 12:28 PM

Thanks John. Effectivelly, McMillan is a strong influence in the director's work (Boran Richard).

Will Gallego November 18th, 2011 10:10 PM

I loved it. Beautiful song. Visuals(including editing) complemented the song perfectly. Wonderful mix of techniques and lighting. That last shot was beautiful. Congrats as DP. Looking forward to your next project.

Russ Reynolds November 19th, 2011 12:02 PM

Great job Jean-Philippe. I don't understand French but I guessed it had something to do with socks. I though you nailed the lighting which I always find frustrating. I've done 2 music videos myself but haven't had the guts to post them as they are not up to this standard yet. Well done.

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 21st, 2011 07:39 AM

Thank you very much for your comments Will and Russ. Greatly appreciated. Glad you liked!

Rudy Wilms November 21st, 2011 05:43 PM

I saw just your music video love it nice done

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 28th, 2011 11:37 AM

Thanks Rudy!

Jean-Philippe Archibald April 6th, 2012 11:57 AM

HI everyone,

I Recently DPed another music video with the same team, for the same artist:

There is still a lot of stop motion animation in it, more than in the first one. All the stop motion sequences have been shot with the 5D MKII on still mode, and all the live action sequences originated form the FS100.

Let me know what do you think!

Warren Kawamoto April 15th, 2012 09:31 AM

That was terrific! How did you pull off that effect at 1:26? Im guessing you had a projected image of the talent on the wall for an artist to trace as reference? There was no compositing here, correct?

Jean-Philippe Archibald April 17th, 2012 06:28 PM

Thanks Warren! Yes, everything is in camera, no compositing at all. The Artist, Pascal Picard, draw a faint outline from a 1:1 photography before to start his work (you can see the little yellow line in the video).

Look at this video to learn more about his technique: