Kessler and Magic Bullet tilt shift sim at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 25th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Trustee

Kessler and Magic Bullet tilt shift sim

Did a quick edit and processing of the footage I shot for the AZ wing of the CAF's museum.
XF300 on a 12' Kessler Crane then processed in FCP with Magic Bullet's tilt shift simulator along with some other tweaks. A couple of the shots really look like model airplanes to me. Beats spending $2k on a lens!

Kessler Crane at the CAF Museum in AZ on Vimeo
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Kessler and Magic Bullet tilt shift sim

Cool stuff. How you like that crane. Been considering purchasing my own. I usually use the Porta-Jib, but would like to know more of Kessler from a Kessler owner.
Will Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Trustee

What I like about it is the solid-ness and build quality. Though I didn't use it on this shoot I have the revolution head and oracle controller along with a shuttlepod and extra motors. It all works perfectly, every time. It's pretty easy to set up (once you do it a couple of times) and is very portable. My buddy filled in the gear I don't have (slider, full dolly) so between us we have pretty much their whole catalog. It's good stuff and not terribly expensive.
Old November 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Robert. Now that sounds like some killer crane gear you own. What is the price range on that total crane package you own. I feel the crane price adds up pretty high quickly. I guess that goes for any pro gear, but that is another reason I am hesitant to purchase a crane.
Will Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Trustee

Well, the Kessler site would be best for prices. (my wife might read this! ha ha!)
It really depends on the camera and amount of control you want.
With a 12' and my XF300 it gets heavy pretty quick when you start adding counterbalance weight. This means it requires a really good tripod. Made sense to me to go for the K-Pod which is designed for the crane. Get the tool-less kit and a set of casters. This gives you an easily moveable and stable platform that's easy to set up.

The real expense is when you add the revolution head and oracle controller. It essentially doubles the price of the system. It's not always necessary for a shoot and when it is, sometimes it requires two operators as there's too many things to move at once.

Start small and build the system for your needs. You can turn an 8' into a 12' later and then into an 18' by adding pieces. But get the K-Pod up front. It'll last forever! Thats why the Kessler system is so cool.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work