DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Fun project about Indie Film Makers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/505890-fun-project-about-indie-film-makers.html)

Garrett Low March 5th, 2012 09:17 PM

Fun project about Indie Film Makers

Here's a film project I shot that just screened in San Francisco. It's a fun mockumentary about the lives of how people who aren't involved in making movies must see independent film makers. All of the people who acted in it are actual film makers who are members of Scary Cow, an independent film cooperative here in San Francisco. All of the scenes were based on or were motivated by films that the main characters in each scene made. It was a lot of fun recreating the look and feel of each scene.

Warning, some strong language is used but overall a very mild piece.

-Garrett

Garrett Low March 6th, 2012 12:42 PM

Re: Fun project about Indie Film Makers

I didn't write or direct it but I would be interested in peoples thoughts and feedback.

Thanks,
Garrett

Chris Barcellos March 6th, 2012 12:56 PM

Garrett: I started to watch this with interest to see people I have seen on 48 hour film festivals in the past. However, it seemed slow, and with a lot of cliches, and I did have a lot of time, so I didn't finish watching it at this point. The bed scene was just too slow, frankly.

I think this could be edited into a fast moving funny 2 or 3 minute piece which would probably garner a lot more interest. I hope to take the time to watch more in detail,

Sareesh Sudhakaran March 7th, 2012 10:16 PM

Some of the sequences are funny and well shot. My favorite is the 'fire in the hole' one.

However, some are a bit slow, and doesn't keep the same pace. +1 to Chris' points on the bedroom scene, and the editing in general - a leaner cut will probably work wonders on the timing.

Thanks for sharing.

Garrett Low March 8th, 2012 12:31 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. This wasn't my project. I just shot most of the scenes. First project using mostly a DSLR so it was a learning curve for me. The shots in the trunk of the car were actually shot with both of us stuck in the trunk of the car and the only lighting we had was from his iPhone.

This was a first time director also so in all she did a good job. As you commented I would have paced some of the scenes differently. A lot of this was done on the fly and we had to make changes on set due to external circumstances.

Thanks for the comments.

-Garrett

Sareesh Sudhakaran March 8th, 2012 09:10 PM

For a first time DSLR project I'd say the camera work and lighting was pretty neat. And for a first time director it's a hell of a job. Good luck!

Garrett Low March 9th, 2012 10:46 AM

New link as the old one had to be replaced.

Thanks all.
-Garrett

Garrett Low March 9th, 2012 10:55 AM

Thanks Sareesh. In most of the shots it was pretty much basic setups as the director was trying to just get her head around the basics and since the people on screen weren't usually actors it was a bit of a challenge. to get them comfortable.

I recently finished principal photography on a short that was on the other end of the spectrum. Lot's of set ups that were very challenging, Some real time and effort put into lighting every scene. And the actors were incredible. I don't know if I'll be able to post any of that for a while as the owners of that project will be targeting festivals. It's in post now and I think it's almost at picture lock. Hopefully I'll be able to at least post some screen grabs soon.

-Garrett