Camera showreel-all standard lens on PMW 350K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 1st, 2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera showreel-all standard lens on PMW 350K

This is a little 70 seconder I finally got around to on the weekend, all shot on the standard Fujinon HD lens that comes with the Sony PMW 350K (sort of an EX1/3 big brother). Unfortunately one of my clients would only let me include the shots I made for their project if I didn't make it public. But that's not too hard, simply cut and paste the link (removing the small space after vimeo!) https://vimeo .com/41265239 and punch in the password: 54321

Thanks for your effort!

Last edited by Chris Tangey; May 1st, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Camera showreel-all standard lens on PMW 350K

Nicely done.

Just curious, what was the guy in the helicopter doing?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chuck, he was moving wild camels into a yard (we have a massive introduced camel environmental problem here), the rear rotor is much louder so it helps if the pilot makes that manoeuvre in the R22 every now and then.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Major Player

great video Chris!

I love my 350 what about you?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes I do Tom, nice to hear from you by the way. I don't think there is a better value Television workhorse around when you combine the price and the standard HD lens system it comes with. Still yet to make it sing, but i hope I'm getting closer.

Would still like a Scarlet-X for more arty work but, as I say, for bread and butter stuff the 350K package takes a bit of beating.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Trustee

When you say its the big brother to the EX1/3 how does the image quality compare to the EX? Why spend the additional money for this camera?

I'm just curious what the difference might be, your stuff looks great no matter what camera you used.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well Chuck, I say that as I'm aware that there are lots of people floating around these forums who don't do this full time and need a frame of reference on a camera that could otherwise just mean to them another set of letters and number.

Besides that it is a Sony classification, the EX1R, the EX3, PMW-320 and PMW 350 are all considered members of the EX family of cameras (unsure on the PMW500). I'm sure the 350 has shooting features that the smaller ones don't, so maybe somebody else can elaborate on that. It is the top of the range, is physically bigger and those used to today's smaller units who don't have the experience of what true "off the shoulder" shooting is, will not understand the ergonomic advantages of it when shooting in that style. Remember that I'm talking about the K version which simply means it is packaged with a lens system. So answering the first part of your question is a little difficult as the lens that comes with the camera is an important part of the answer. In terms of processing I really wouldn't have a clue but side by sides to me in "average" situations appear to give similar images, although the 2/3" chip quickly gives the 350K the quality edge once you drift from there..

So, I guess to answer both questions at once its difference kicks in when you aren't shooting the average. Just as real estate people will tell you a house being worth more is all about "location, location, location" this camera is worth more as a package due to "lens system, lens system, lens system"! Remember I'm not talking about absolutes, there are much better cameras, much better lenses, but as a package in its price range for general television work I think it is hard to beat. I think I recall Alister Chapman early on saying that he thought the Fujinon lens that came with it should sell by itself at about $13-14,000. I think you can get the whole 350K camera package for under $19,000 in the U.S now. Apart from having connectivity that the smaller lenses don't and the sheer size of the glass, it has autofocus which is very rare in 2/3" lenses, and virtually has nil breathing or CA. As I recall its 16X
zoom translates into something like a 35mmm equivalent of 28-550 all in one lens including macro.
These guys look at the lens here:

In summary, I guess the additional money for me, is about true off the shoulder shooting, a lens that can capture anything from a bug to a distant mountain quickly without compromising and the difference between 1/2" and 2/3" chips.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

One other big difference I forgot to mention is the fantastic color viewfinder, which this guy covers here (amongst many other things) . The viewfinder bit is right under the 13th level of photos on the page if that helps!

DVuser: Sony PMW-350K Review
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks for the info Chris.

I had two EX3's and liked them a lot, I started using DSLR's almost exclusively three years ago. DSLR's are great for somethings but they're not video camera's and more people have been asking me to do ENG type production where it just takes too much time to shoot with a DSLR so I've been kind of keeping an eye out for what might replace the EX3 type camera's.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work