DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   New Reel for 2011/2012 Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/508608-new-reel-2011-2012-work.html)

Wes Coughlin June 18th, 2012 10:00 PM

New Reel for 2011/2012 Work

Here is a compilation of the work that I've been doing for the last year and a half. Find more at Videos and Motion Graphics by Wes Coughlin in Bend, Oregon

Tom Bostick June 19th, 2012 02:27 PM

Re: New Reel for 2011/2012 Work

Nice reel Wes!

Excellent variety and camera work!

Wes Coughlin June 20th, 2012 08:32 AM

Thanks Tom! I appreciate the compliment.

Evan Bourcier June 20th, 2012 11:18 PM

Awesome. I'm a big fan! Jealous of the motion graphics stuff, I feel like that's a real weak spot for me right now, I haven't found many resources on learning it that I was happy with though. All the tutorials out there are for cheesy effects. Great work!

Wes Coughlin June 21st, 2012 09:16 AM

Thanks Evan!

I think if you are interested in getting better at motion graphics you also need to look into learning more about design. I'm not an expert designer, but I do know people who are designers that have started to work in After Effects, and some of their creations are really superb for the amount of time they have been working with motion design.

Here are some ways I practiced improving my design skills: Design and build websites, design logos (my wildlookout logo took about three weeks and over 100 revisions, and its still probably not great, logo design is hard), try to understand "why" designer do what they do, check out design galleries like behanced and creattica.

Evan Bourcier June 21st, 2012 11:52 AM

Any time man!

I definitely agree, and I could definitely still use some design practice haha, but I come from a photoshop/design background before video, so my trouble generally is more of the getting it to work how I want in after effects and have it move the way I want. I could lay it out in photoshop all day, it's the actually working after effects that confuses me haha.

On a semi-related note: Logos are the bane of my existence haha, I desperately could use a good one for my current business though. I would probably consider what I did/do sometimes as more digital art than design, as I wasn't super big on logos and flyers and whatnot, I liked making things that look cool :P would love your feedback on some of my work, it's at EBourcier Creative

Thanks,
Evan

Wes Coughlin June 22nd, 2012 08:12 AM

Your design stuff looks good Evan. Maybe try to take your poster/design concepts and turn them into videos by taking actual footage of snowboarding (or whatever), and then time remapping it, composite the background, and add the graphical accents and type to it. Just to practice the AE stuff.