DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Av8Chuck 2012 Demo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/509830-av8chuck-2012-demo.html)

Chuck Spaulding August 6th, 2012 10:26 PM

Av8Chuck 2012 Demo

Someone asked me for a demo reel, I never know what to put on these things and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Chuck Spaulding August 8th, 2012 09:32 PM

Re: Av8Chuck 2012 Demo

Its just sad that we can't post videos and expect our peers to comment on them. It seems that all anyone wants to do anymore is post videos to get their viewership up.

Alan Melville August 10th, 2012 04:39 AM

Chuck,

I enjoyed it, however I think it would be better to shift the Africian kids and people to just before the animals, where you have them now doesn't quite flow IMO. Otherwise, all good.

Al

Jordan Brindle August 10th, 2012 11:04 AM

Seemed great to me, not sure what you're worried about? You seem to have enough experience in the field to know what makes a good show reel.

Chuck Spaulding August 10th, 2012 12:44 PM

Thanks Alan, your the second person to mention that. When it was first brought up I had one of those "Doh," moments, seems obvious enough but I was hoping that I could "get away with it." But now that you mentioned it I should do the right thing and change it.

Thanks Jordan, actually I think this is only the second or third time I've ever been asked for a demo reel, I honestly don't know what it should be. If people comment on it generally a trend will emerge whether people think its too long, not engaging or doesn't flow well etc., which would be useful information to improve it.

I find it difficult to remain objective about the footage I put in it, I'd be much more objective if I was editing someone else's footage together.

Jordan Brindle August 10th, 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding (Post 1747908)
Thanks Alan, your the second person to mention that. When it was first brought up I had one of those "Doh," moments, seems obvious enough but I was hoping that I could "get away with it." But now that you mentioned it I should do the right thing and change it.

Thanks Jordan, actually I think this is only the second or third time I've ever been asked for a demo reel, I honestly don't know what it should be. If people comment on it generally a trend will emerge whether people think its too long, not engaging or doesn't flow well etc., which would be useful information to improve it.

I find it difficult to remain objective about the footage I put in it, I'd be much more objective if I was editing someone else's footage together.

I always think a show-reel should be quick and punchy, but often times its hard to actually show off particular aspects of yourr videography expertise without a wide array of clips.

Henry Williams August 13th, 2012 05:44 AM

Hi Chuck.

Great reel. I can understand you finding it tricky to know what to include with so much fantastic footage.

Loved the title graphics too. The only thing that maybe occured to me is that the girl in the desert and on the car bonnet sections felt a touch brief after we'd spent so much time with the lambourgini in the section before. That's me being really nitpickey though. Thoroughly enjoyed the reel.

Henry

Mark Koha August 14th, 2012 09:03 PM

I think what Henry is trying to say is you should show more chicks. While I generally agree, you have an awesome reel. Looks like you have had a lot of great opportunities to shoot a lot of really cool stuff. One thing I would say, is that since you are advertising in there that you can do graphics, maybe end it with a different one than the one you started with.

Chuck Spaulding August 14th, 2012 09:48 PM

You can never have enough chicks...

Part of the logic for showing the Lamborghini was that the shots were from the car and car to car to show different kinds of camera work. The reason for the women was that I've been asked to do more "fashion" type shoots lately, I don't really consider myself a fashion photographer but I could get used to it...

The graphic at the beginning and end is actually my logo.

Thanks for the feedback.