Av8Chuck 2012 Demo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Av8Chuck 2012 Demo

Someone asked me for a demo reel, I never know what to put on these things and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Av8Chuck 2012 Demo

Its just sad that we can't post videos and expect our peers to comment on them. It seems that all anyone wants to do anymore is post videos to get their viewership up.
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Chuck,

I enjoyed it, however I think it would be better to shift the Africian kids and people to just before the animals, where you have them now doesn't quite flow IMO. Otherwise, all good.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Seemed great to me, not sure what you're worried about? You seem to have enough experience in the field to know what makes a good show reel.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Alan, your the second person to mention that. When it was first brought up I had one of those "Doh," moments, seems obvious enough but I was hoping that I could "get away with it." But now that you mentioned it I should do the right thing and change it.

Thanks Jordan, actually I think this is only the second or third time I've ever been asked for a demo reel, I honestly don't know what it should be. If people comment on it generally a trend will emerge whether people think its too long, not engaging or doesn't flow well etc., which would be useful information to improve it.

I find it difficult to remain objective about the footage I put in it, I'd be much more objective if I was editing someone else's footage together.
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Thanks Alan, your the second person to mention that. When it was first brought up I had one of those "Doh," moments, seems obvious enough but I was hoping that I could "get away with it." But now that you mentioned it I should do the right thing and change it.

Thanks Jordan, actually I think this is only the second or third time I've ever been asked for a demo reel, I honestly don't know what it should be. If people comment on it generally a trend will emerge whether people think its too long, not engaging or doesn't flow well etc., which would be useful information to improve it.

I find it difficult to remain objective about the footage I put in it, I'd be much more objective if I was editing someone else's footage together.
I always think a show-reel should be quick and punchy, but often times its hard to actually show off particular aspects of yourr videography expertise without a wide array of clips.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Chuck.

Great reel. I can understand you finding it tricky to know what to include with so much fantastic footage.

Loved the title graphics too. The only thing that maybe occured to me is that the girl in the desert and on the car bonnet sections felt a touch brief after we'd spent so much time with the lambourgini in the section before. That's me being really nitpickey though. Thoroughly enjoyed the reel.

Henry
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Major Player

I think what Henry is trying to say is you should show more chicks. While I generally agree, you have an awesome reel. Looks like you have had a lot of great opportunities to shoot a lot of really cool stuff. One thing I would say, is that since you are advertising in there that you can do graphics, maybe end it with a different one than the one you started with.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Trustee

You can never have enough chicks...

Part of the logic for showing the Lamborghini was that the shots were from the car and car to car to show different kinds of camera work. The reason for the women was that I've been asked to do more "fashion" type shoots lately, I don't really consider myself a fashion photographer but I could get used to it...

The graphic at the beginning and end is actually my logo.

Thanks for the feedback.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work