Music Video - Do you get it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Music Video - Do you get it?

So, i'm doing a series of music videos for a client.
There's an underlying goal for the videos . . . does it come across?

http://youtu.be/xSmZG3iqJ10?hd=1

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSmZG3iqJ10?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSmZG3iqJ10?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

What do you think?
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Mark Ahrens; August 23rd, 2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: embed code
Mark Ahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Music Video - Do you get it?

What am i missing on the embed code?
Can you embed, unlisted videos?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Checked it out. Seems like a sales promotion for the instrument, or gear, not obvious for a non-musician. I assume it has to do with multiple capabilities of recording and playback, and potential to have a near one man band on stage.

Musician himself is not particularly engaging. Exhibits a dated hair style, and also seems to exhibit disdain for the viewer, something like "You don't know how lucky you are to be seeing me." Probably true, but does an audience want that reminder.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Major Player

LOL - Thanks Chris, for your honest opinion and feedback. It gave me a chuckle.

Yeah, the artist is intent on having a detailed expository nature to the videos in showing (thru the effects/overlays) that he's triggering the loop station and recording layers to build up a song. As you mention, i'm not sure i've accomplished the task of making it easy for a non-musician to 'get it'.

Are you a musician?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I got the looping part, but I think it would have been helpful to have an insert shot of the pedals when he triggered the effects. Otherwise, I think you did a reasonable job calling attention to the fact that he was controlling it all by himself.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Looked pretty good at getting the "concept" across. A musician will "get" it, no one else will care...

And of course this brings out the old joke about how many guitarists it takes to change a light bulb...

One to do it, and an infinite number who go "I can do that"...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I play guitar, bass, and drums. I got the point. I just got bored and found it difficult to watch the guy all the way through. I agree with Oren (and with Chris), you really need some cutaways; the artist is too much at center of attention.
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Keep the comments coming!

I'm in total agreement. The artist (he's a good friend, too) is pretty much directing the edit and i'm not in agreement; but letting him create his vision thru me. I figured i'd throw it out to independent and critical minds to get quotes to bring back to him in hopes he will see the light.

Thing is . . . he wants to do a video for every track on the album (do we still call it that?). 9 Tracks, all the same way. I'm in strong disagreement. Although this IS one of the more technical tracks and the others have vocals . . . it's not going to appeal to most viewers.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
LOL - Thanks Chris, for your honest opinion and feedback. It gave me a chuckle.

Yeah, the artist is intent on having a detailed expository nature to the videos in showing (thru the effects/overlays) that he's triggering the loop station and recording layers to build up a song. As you mention, i'm not sure i've accomplished the task of making it easy for a non-musician to 'get it'.

Are you a musician?
No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night... so..... (joke)

Actually, my brother and his wife have made a living in the music industry since early 1970's, and I have had a lot of contact with musicians.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Major Player

I get it because I have worked with several people that use the same technology to make music and I think it's amazing when done well (this was), but to someone who was not familiar with what he was doing and what the technology that is being used is doing, I would be lost and this would have been a "neat" video of some guy jamming to a karaoke track.... my .02 for what it's worth.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Here is one thing I would try.

1. Widen your set and lock your camera down.

2. For each individual track, place the talent and instruments in a distinct area. He can't move out of the area assign. Run your song one times clean through from each position.

3. In edit match the tracks to the music. Use a mask on each track to cover the area you want in. You should have a full scene after laying in the last track.

4. The use you close ups to cut back and forth from.
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Major Player

All the footage is already in the can. We ran thru the set 3 times, changing the camera angles each time, using 5-6 cameras. Plus some specialized closer shots. More angles than necessary but it's a resource to draw from if needed, albeit cumbersome.

I made a rough cut without overlays of a different track, to show him what i was thinking and i found that several full frame clips of the pedal hits gave more weight to the act, focusing the attention of the viewer, rather than distracting multiple elements; full frame angle cuts were more pleasing than a predominance of the wide shot. Alas, he is set on the demonstrative cut. He's paying, so it's his call, but i want to advise him as best i can.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work