DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Tornadoes of fire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/510792-tornadoes-fire.html)

Chris Tangey September 18th, 2012 06:00 AM

Tornadoes of fire

What a bizarre week. You often hear of people getting caught up in events not of their own making and never thinking it will happen to you. I would never have guessed in a million years ago just 8 days ago that I would be appearing as a guest on Good Morning America and the NBC today show (as we speak I think), doing deals on all sorts of mumbo jumbo I don't understand with Associated Press and Reuters, having pictures of mine published in all the Fleet Street papers, interviews with Brazil, Norway, Germany etc. etc. all because of a puff of wind that happened to be nearby. So what's all the fuss about? This.

Not sure how long I will leave this online for, but in the meantime feel free to share, best viewed full screen in HD with volume right up!
(Hmm...looks like embed here is not working) You will need to put this back together https://vimeo.com/ 49671213

Simon Wood September 18th, 2012 06:24 AM

Re: Tornadoes of fire

Thats crazy!

I saw a photo of it on Yahoo news yesterday I think.

Its hard to make out there scale from the video; how hight were the flames going?

Chris Tangey September 18th, 2012 06:40 AM

At different points the flames were over 30 metres high, although we were just 300 metres away for the whole 40 minute event, the base of the twisters were actually just over a small hill I wasn't game to climb up...strangely enough...

Alan Melville September 20th, 2012 11:00 PM

Hey Chris, That's fairly serious $h%#, I'm amazed at how slowly it appeared to be travelling.

The temperature in the middle must've been phenomenal. You were in the right place at the right time that day!

Well done. :)

Al

Simon Denny September 21st, 2012 12:40 AM

Hi Chris,

Have you pulled this down? I cant seem to locate it.

Simon Denny September 21st, 2012 12:51 AM

Found it. cheers

Chris Tangey September 21st, 2012 05:21 AM

Yes thanks Alan and Simon, sorry for the late reply, I've been in a whirl (...sorry)

Just finished an interview with a Norwegian daily newspaper, am negotiating a deal with Fuji Television Japan for their breakfast show in the morning, had an Austrian (not Australian!) Producer ARRIVE today to look at the footage for a possible feature, somebody wants to use it for a stage show in Austin Texas, I'm getting scripts, hundreds of facebook friends requests, still up till 3 am most nights negotiating TV/online rights, others are producing canvas photoprints of the stills for sale, the biggest nature broadcasters are all ringing me... all from a guy with a little business precisely in the middle of nowhere (I've measured it)

I'm not going to complain, but what a weird and sudden ride! You never think this stuff could happen to you but if it does you need to be much more ready than I was. I have learnt enormous amounts about footage sales and rights worldwide, so if something like this ever happens to anyone reading this please keep me in a little space in the back of your mind, so you can contact me. I'll be happy to help you through the minefield!

Simon Denny September 21st, 2012 05:40 AM

Enjoy the ride mate.

Chris Tangey September 21st, 2012 05:56 AM

Thanks Simon, you have to be up in the air in the first place to land on your backside. I've been around long enough to not get too excited!

Also when all is said and done, its not about me but the event, a very healthy differentiation.

Chris Tangey September 21st, 2012 07:10 AM

Hey Alan, forgot to say, love the "no fixed address' on the profile. The way we all should be really.

Chuck Spaulding September 23rd, 2012 09:46 PM

That is very cool.

Nature is amazing.