DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   First Editing Demo Reel - Need Feedback Please. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/512739-first-editing-demo-reel-need-feedback-please.html)

Lukas Dreser December 15th, 2012 12:40 AM

First Editing Demo Reel - Need Feedback Please.

Hello,
This is my very first Demo Reel showcasing some projects I have worked on.
Currently a senior in College, I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks so much!

Luke

Chris Medico December 15th, 2012 08:23 AM

Re: First Editing Demo Reel - Need Feedback Please.

Hi Luke,

What I don't get from your demo is much about your editing. It is obvious this is edited together but since the clips lack context with each other I can't see where the true job of an editor was accomplished. It looks pretty good as a cinematography reel but doesn't tell me anything about YOU the editor.

If I'm looking for an editor for a project I want to see a complete scene they have edited. I want to see the timing of the edits, choice of takes, and how the frames fit together with each other. I want to see if YOU the editor make me feel like I was there. One misplaced edit can diminish the experience of the audience. Show me in your reel that you don't do that.

In my opinion you need a reel that shows how you - the editor - brought a scene together. You need to show your chops by showing your potential boss a reel where they don't notice your work at all. Give them a couple of examples of different stye projects. Maybe do something dramatic where you choice of cuts have increased the tension. Show something light with music underneath so you can demonstrate your sense of cutting to and against beats. More than anything show enough of a scene that who you are as an editor comes through.

It looks like you have some good imagery to choose from. Cut together a couple of scenes from that pool of work that makes me want to watch more.

Lukas Dreser December 15th, 2012 08:43 AM

Ah, thanks Chris!

At first, I had trouble understanding what an "editing" reel should truly entail. The fact that I only have about 2 minutes to show a potential employer my "cutting", scared me.
But I am currently working on an extended reel, which will show longer pieces from some of the films. I am thinking about starting off with a montage for 30-40 secs, and then transition into the longer scenes.
That way, my editing will come through.

Now, tell me what the reel I showed now is ? Is that a sizzle reel ? A pointless montage ? Should I scrape that completely and not have that on my website at all ?

I really appreciate the feedback!

Chris Medico December 15th, 2012 09:27 AM

The video above doesn't serve you as an editor other than to show you have worked on projects with good looking imagery. That is important. Once you have good examples of your work then you will see for yourself that you don't need it.

Two minutes is plenty of time to tell us who you are as an editor. To be honest I start to form my opinion in the first 10-15 seconds. You don't need to present entire scenes to show your skills. Start with something dramatic that is well shot. Show 4-5 cuts around an intense dramatic scene showing your timing and shot choice then move on. Don't add any extra bits like a music track unless that would have been there for the actual finished scene. Show us exactly what you want us to see and hear in those 30 seconds or so then move on to the next editing example.

You may be better served overall to break your reel up into short segments each with a theme and make them a separate video on your site. That way interested parties can watch examples of your work that may be more closely aligned to their project.

Personally I don't like long demo reels. I rarely watch any reel past the 2 minute mark. If I don't get the vibe in the first few seconds then I know this isn't what I'm looking for. Keep them short and focused.

Joe Piechura December 15th, 2012 03:18 PM

I also have no idea what should be in an editing reel, but would including examples of colour matching and grading, perhaps with before and after (or split screen) sequences be appropriate? Or is that technically a separate job, in which case I guess it'd depend on the budget of the film makers you're pitching to?

Lukas Dreser December 15th, 2012 04:35 PM

As far as I know, Colorist is a separate job from an editor, however if a film doesn't have the budget, lot of time an editor or DP will do the color grading.
As for the reels, after doing some research, I came to the conclusion that it is a good idea to do separate reels for each job (Editing, Cinematography, Colorist, Directing etc.)

Chris Medico December 15th, 2012 05:01 PM

I agree that it is better to have separate reels for different jobs.

Lukas Dreser December 15th, 2012 09:05 PM

Alright,
I cut a brand new demo reel.
I chose to go much different way this time, see for yourself :-)

Joe Piechura December 18th, 2012 03:19 AM

I think that looks much better. Big fan of your choice of final shot.

And this is more of a personal taste thing, but I think dub step is massively overused these days. But it does work quite well, so that's probably why.

Chris Medico December 18th, 2012 06:21 AM

That does look a lot better.

I would consider trimming down the overall length of the intro. It feels a bit long on first watch.