DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Behind the Scenes Video of a "Bohemian Chic" Fashion Photo Shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/513457-behind-scenes-video-bohemian-chic-fashion-photo-shoot.html)

Paul Manoian January 13th, 2013 09:02 AM

Behind the Scenes Video of a "Bohemian Chic" Fashion Photo Shoot

I'm a professional photographer, but have been jumping into video more and more for behind-the-scenes videos and other projects. I tried finding creative arts students that wanted to get involved as part of their class projects, but every single one of them either did a partial job or completely flaked out.

So, I decided to take on editing and producing the videos myself with some help from a friend to shoot the video.

Please provide feedback regarding what I should do to take my behind-the-scenes videos to the next level.

You can check it out on Vimeo here:

Thanks!

Paul Manoian

Behind the Scenes Photo Shoot Videos – Detroit Photographer

Les Wilson January 13th, 2013 03:56 PM

Re: Behind the Scenes Video of a "Bohemian Chic" Fashion Photo Shoot

FWIW, things I didn't like:
1) Your audio is very thin and inconsistent with the rich music bed
2) The schpeel you give at the beginning is talking about what you are going to do. To me, talking about the event in a BTS should use the past tense... aka talk about the lighting you used and not the lighting you are going to use.
3) Giving credits to everyone at the beginning before the viewer gets to see what it is you did.
4) After you gave the intro I expected to move to a new location but all your standup was done from the same place. I never felt like I moved to where the action was..... like I was always in the lobby or wherever it was where you were.
5) Some separation from the background on your standup would have made you pop more. This could be preference but I would have used some chiaroscuro techniques to give you separation. There was just lots of black in the background and your jacket so I felt it needed something.
6) When you explained lighting setups, the visuals were such that the lighting was secondary in the shot. Something from the fixture's perspective on the scene (i.e. from behind the fixture) or wide shot of the set before the lights are on....
7) I'm not sure but in your standup the camera angle seemed to make you chin forward. Maybe that's your natural posture but there was a lot of your chin and neck at that angle.
8) I think it could have been shorter.

I liked the finished stills mixed with BTS footage. The mixed light color temperatures must have been a bear.

Allan Black January 13th, 2013 05:30 PM

Great concept, I like it. I agree with Les on 1 and especially 6. Also like the stills laid in with the footage.

To open, the excitement and anticipation are good but you spoke way to fast, the names are lost, ppl get the wrong impression
about what's coming and the expertise involved. Start slower then maybe speed it up later on. Imo you need to practise that on cam.

In a dark background like that, wear a lighter colored jacket, something different from the talent.

Cheers.

Paul Manoian January 14th, 2013 09:35 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback! This is extremely helpful.

Allan Black January 16th, 2013 03:36 PM

Paul, a good way to learn live presentation to camera is to face a mirror and practise it.
It teaches you to concentrate and deliver a professional job.

After a while, replace the mirror with the camera and keep that video for reference later, to see your improvements.
Make sure you record your voice the best possible, sound is 70% of what you see.

Regular sessions, say 3 times a week for 30mins each, the time will zoom by.
Working with those gals in post 1 should be incentive enough :)

Cheers.

Paul Manoian January 19th, 2013 09:51 PM

Thanks! I have found recording the audio to be the trickiest part. I need a better way.

Les Wilson January 19th, 2013 10:23 PM

Wireless lav or shotgun (or other suitable condenser mic) on a boom pole just out of frame above your head and about 8" forward of your face.

Allan Black January 20th, 2013 06:24 PM

Another practise regime, get a newspaper and circle suitable news items, one or two a page.
Then practise sight reading them, out loud.

Go through them first and put a slash where you breath, underline long words, under each syllable.
The aim is to read them straight through without stumbling.

When you get to know them, circle some more. New newsreaders practise this to camera, looking down to read it on their desk,
then looking up to continue on written cue cards. Again, when you get proficient, video it.

Cheers.