DiaVinci Resolve at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 12th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Trustee

DiaVinci Resolve

I'm trying to learn Davinci Resolve so I took some footage from an earlier project that I had color corrected with Apples Color and did a new version in Resolve.

I really like Color but I think Resolve has some great tools, [I just don't know how to use them]... Anyway here's my first attempt at using it, I have kind of mixed feeling about it.

I'd post it on the Lift and Gamma site but there are some really good colorists over there..

This was shot with a 7D, all with available light and mostly hand held.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: DiaVinci Resolve

I like some of the shots. I am not a colourist, so shouldn't comment about colours. I had downloaded the Davinci resolve, but thought that it is better to focus on the FCP X colour board for the time being. Also you can't push the 7D footage much.
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Yeah I think its more difficult to push the 7D footage, the 5d3 seems to clean up and look much better.

I usually use Color but Apple seems to be letting most of their Pro applications languish so I've been looking for alternatives. Although it doesn't seem to be as user friendly and I don't know how to use it very well yet Resolve seems to work really well.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Very nice it looks very good .
Rudy Wilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Yeah I think its more difficult to push the 7D footage, the 5d3 seems to clean up and look much better.

I usually use Color but Apple seems to be letting most of their Pro applications languish so I've been looking for alternatives. Although it doesn't seem to be as user friendly and I don't know how to use it very well yet Resolve seems to work really well.
Are you using FCP X? Its power windows features are nice and effective and one can do lot of stuff now. I suspect apple is focusing on making the FCP X much more powerful and you will get some more colour grading improvements later.

The codec of 5D III is much better than the previous generation 7D, so you will find it a bit easier with the 5D III.
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm still using FCP7, not a fan of FCP-X.

Canon was a little smarter with the 5D3 the sensor is now natively devisable in 16x9 so although it initially looks a little softer it sharpens up so much better. I really like my 7D but think the upgrade to the 5D3 was the right choice.

I don't have fast enough memory so I haven't tried to shoot RAW video with it yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work