DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Out for a walk and ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/518932-out-walk.html)

Fran Guidry September 13th, 2013 06:18 PM

Out for a walk and ...

My video projects are mostly of the "look at me play guitar" variety. I started shooting to promote my CD and now I probably play guitar to have something to shoot.

I was out for a walk the other day, took a local trail along a creek that I'd never taken before, and stumbled over an old truck chassis in the greenery near the creek. And there's this Hawaiian song called "Holoholo Ka`a" about a jalopy ride around the island.

The wood spoke wheels say 1920s, the bolted frame, big high mounted differential, and safety wire suggest commercial truck or military vehicle. It's been there long enough for a tree to grow up through the frame rails, but so far no graffiti!

Fran

Colin McDonald November 9th, 2013 03:42 PM

Re: Out for a walk and ...

Fran, I've watched this a couple of times and had meant to reply. Nice guitar playing!

It's an unusual sort of video, but I enjoyed it. I'm not sure that everyone would agree that it makes sense in the conventional way, but I've seen a good few pretentious high budget music videos which made considerably less. It is uncomplicated and relaxing to watch but you must have spend a while filming it if you did it all yourself. Thanks for posting!

Fran Guidry November 10th, 2013 11:17 AM

Thanks, Colin. I call my stuff "look at me play guitar video" and you can find similar clips in profusion on various guitar forums.

I do shoot and edit this stuff by myself, I'm the producer, director, DP, crew, and talent. I'm learning and progressing very slowly, but having plenty of fun along the way.

Fran

Alan Melville November 13th, 2013 05:57 AM

Hey Fran,

Well done.

A couple of points that you may wish to consider;

Zooms, try and slow them down a little, give the viewer time to absorb the content by holding the frame you've zoomed into, particularly in a vid of this sort. You're not rushing off, and there is no moving action, so use the stillness of the scene to your advantage. :) Think of it as keeping with the tempo of the music.

Pans, same same as the zooms, don't be scared to slow them quite a bit.

Composition at 1:48 is good, consider using a slider from that point and sliding to the cameras right from that point until you slide out of the frame.

Lighting was quite good, a couple of little blowouts but not bad.

Well done and keep it up.

Al

Fran Guidry November 13th, 2013 11:23 AM

Al, thanks very much for taking the time to watch and comment. I have a lot to learn and forums like this are my main source of knowledge.

Fran