Art documentary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Art documentary

This video was vimeo staff picked 98% because of the amazing art i was honored to shoot
Garrett Zavaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Art documentary

Great topic, well shot and edited, I only didn't like the sound from the artist, it sounds like it was recorded by the onboard cameramike? I know content is king but sound is half the movie for me, it makes the difference between good and excellent.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Trustee

First off, congratulations for being chosen as a Vimeo Staff Pick.

I agree with Noa, the audio needs help [I came to that conclusion before reading Noa's comment] that was just me first impression. And the bummer is that it wouldn't have been that difficult or expensive to use a Zoom H1, that might not have provided the best audio but it would have been much better than what you have.

Having commented from a technical production POV, I found the art quite inspiring, what a great technique and such a unique look. I'm guessing that's your wife?

Great job. If your wife is looking for galleries to help sell her work let me know, my wife just happens to own one in California.

Congratulations.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Garrett,

Nice vid, nice art, I swear I've seen it (the art) before on a show!!!!

Camera work was good, as was most lighting, however, as already pointed out, audio let it down. I also felt the sound track was a bit overpowering, volume wise, I say this because, to me, it seemed the artist was competeing with the background music for audio space, I would suggest fading out the background audio when the artist is speaking.

What could be done with what you have? I would suggest, should you do something like it again, that you simply move the talent out of their surroundings, looking at the space, floor walls, in that room, it offers real audio challanges, so move the speaker to a "cosier" room, one that is a little "accousticly duller" By employing 'interview' techniques, you can still cut to her for some scenes but you'll end up with a better VO. More work, but achievable.

If you can justify and aford it, invest in some better audio gear, but only do so if you plan to 'take off' otherwise, read up on audio, it can make or break a piece.

Well done.

Cheers,
Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work