Brian and Heather - Ready For Anything at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 12th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Brian and Heather - Ready For Anything

Wedding film from August:

Thoughts?
Old October 12th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Brian and Heather - Ready For Anything

If I was your client, I would be very happy with that purchase. I think that says it all.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Captured the emotion with those shots nicely! and that song went really well with everything.

Well done.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think it looked great, I particulary liked the shot from the groom at the ceremony when he was reading his vows. I noticed you had both groom and bride's side covered during their vows, I only missed seeing a bit from her reaction when he was reading and vice versa. Can I ask what camera/lens you used on the steadicam (at 02:30) during their dance, the shot which had that very narrow dof.
There where some minor focus issues because the dof was razor tin so you would have been better of choosing a aperture that gives you a bit more focus space.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys!

Noa - Thanks! The Camera during those shots was a 5diii, for that particular shot I think I was on my 35L. The main thing with the soft shots that appears to be a focus issue is actually the upscaling from 720p, as they were shot at 60p, and low light+60p on the 5diii leads to soft shots :\ The other problem was that room was pitch black, which limited me on aperture options without getting really noisy.

Thanks again guys!
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Are you not able to push te iso real high on the 5DIII without having excessive noise? I thought that this was just one of the benefits of the mark 3 that you could close down the iris more in combination with a very high Iso so you'd get a less shallower dof?

A 35mm lens? On my gh2 that would have been a 17,5mm then which is quite wide, it just shows how little shallow dof a full frame camera gives, currently I use a gh3 with a 12-35mm at 12mm and f2.8 on my steadicam and I can blur out the background a little when I'm up close, as I understand it should be f5.6 compared to a full frame but the very sharp 1080p 50p makes up for some nice looking slomo.

One of the shots I was referring to with focus issues was when the bride was walking with her dad to the groom at 00:30, I would close down the aperture much more for such a shot. A second one was at 03:00 when they kiss where the focus was off as well. Not complaining though as it happens to me too :) but a 5DIII with a fast prime is not very forgiving when it comes to focusing.

Was there also any reason why you didn't include the brides reaction when the groom read his vows? I just though it would have added something since you had both sides covered, it was a 2 camera shoot no?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Noa! Sorry for the delay replying to this one.

You can go pretty dang high on the 5diii, at least up to around 3200 and still be pretty clean. Shooting 60p on the 5diii I was probably around a shutter speed of 80, an iso of 1600-3200, and f3 or so if I had to guess. Unfortunately that still leaves you with pretty dang thin DOF and the 60p is naturally really soft.

The shot of her walking down with her parents was definitely operator error on my part, and the kissing shot was a static cam, which somehow magically moved focus 6 inches forward. The funny thing is I'm pretty sure that static came was around a f8, so I'm not sure why the focus was so shallow. I guess that's just an inherent piece of shooting at 250mm.

As far as showing the reactions during vows, that was mainly just something I didnt think of when editing. The way this wedding went I shot it on a saturday from around 9am-5pm, drove 2 hours home, dumping cards/recharging gear etc, editing some that night, edited the next morning while I finished packing, posted the final video around noon on sunday, and flew to Haiti that night for 10 days of shooting. I definitely couldve cut to reactions. I just didnt think of it due to the crazy turnaround.

Thanks for your thoughts! Would be happy to answer any other questions!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work