DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   First Client (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/519537-first-client.html)

Eric Knopp October 17th, 2013 06:04 PM

First Client

Hey, everybody! First, let me say a huge "Thank you" to everyone who contributes here. This forum is a gold mine to those of us trying to get started.

Secondly, I just wrapped up my first client. It was a pro-bono gig for some friends of mine. I'm using it to start my demo reel.

I'm looking for critique from fellow artists. I do want to learn and get better at this. Fire away!

-Eric

For some reason the video embedding code isn't working. Here is the direct link:

Tim Lewis October 18th, 2013 03:20 AM

Re: First Client

Hi Eric

I think you have done a good job on this. Most importantly the audio is clean and pleasant. I would watch some of the cuts on pans where there is a change in pan direction i.e. from up to down as they may be a little nausea inducing. Also it seemed you did the IVs wide and close, so when the hands came up close to the camera or the subject leaned in, there was an exaggerated size change. Maybe tele from further away would minimise this effect.

Overall this was very nice and perhaps shouldn't have been pro bono!

Nate Haustein October 18th, 2013 05:52 AM

Wow. Really nice. This is your first commercial effort!!?? :)

Thought the story was spot on and made me completely trust the company. That's what really matters in the end, no matter what it is or how it looks. So awesome job on finding those bits that built the relationship.

I also really liked the way you treated the photos from before the renovation - very seamless integration.

One thing that could have been better was the interview lighting. The homeowner was quite dark (and unlit I believe) and the operations guy could have used some soft broad light to make him pop and smooth out his complexion. A nice soft key would help I think. But otherwise, very nice!

Duane Adam October 19th, 2013 08:49 AM

For home interiors...wide angle lenses are a must. Easy on the panning too. Otherwise nice job.

Eric Knopp November 7th, 2013 08:46 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Yes, this was my first commercial effort for my own client start-to-finish. I have been interning/freelancing with some professionals in my area for the last three years or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis
Also it seemed you did the IVs wide and close, so when the hands came up close to the camera or the subject leaned in, there was an exaggerated size change. Maybe tele from further away would minimise this effect.

Thank you so much, Tim! I noticed that in post, but wasn't completely sure what I had done. Now that you explain it, the outcome makes total sense. I hadn't even thought of that. Much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein
One thing that could have been better was the interview lighting. The homeowner was quite dark (and unlit I believe) and the operations guy could have used some soft broad light to make him pop and smooth out his complexion. A nice soft key would help I think.

You are correct. The lighting for the client in the kitchen was an error on my part. The kitchen was quite bright and the lighting looked better in person (always does), and when I was checking the screen, it looked good, but as the interview proceeded, I lost the sunlight through the big windows across from him and didn't factor that in. Definitely a good learning experience :-)

And I also agree with the other interview. It needed a better light kit. I'm saving my pennies for a Rifa EX-55/EX-66.

Thank you for your input, gentlemen. I really want to get better at this, and appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts.

-Eric

Eric Knopp November 7th, 2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 1817512)
For home interiors...wide angle lenses are a must. Easy on the panning too. Otherwise nice job.

Agreed. I should have begged/borrowed/stolen a wide angle. Lesson learned.

John Nantz November 8th, 2013 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Eric - It is good that you were able to get the first gig up and running. Stopping by here to get a critique was brave! But we all have to start somewhere.

First off, my dad was a contractor and like an apple not falling far from the tree, I've been in construction all my life. Video is my hobby. Read: don't make any money at it, it's just a fun thing to do so "consider the source."

Video inside a home is really difficult because there normally isn't enough distance where one can back up to get the whole room in. In Hollywood and on TV, of course, they have sets so for them it is easy, but for us it is really difficult. Of course a wide angle lens is needed but if one isn't careful that will bring in a perspective distortion, the reverse of a telephoto.

What editing program are you using? One capability I'd offer as a suggestion to consider is the Ken Burns effect. That is a type of zoom where one has a large picture and you can zoom in on something in the picture. Where it can be used is to highlight a construction/design detail, maybe a sink and faucet or, like in your video, the tile.

By the way, as I write this I'm doing remodeling on an older building. "Plastic is your friend"
The guy doing the work is really good with refurbishing old paint. In this case we're salvaging a lot of hundred year old wood molding. You almost can't buy this stuff any more.