Fashion film on 5D3 raw at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Fashion film on 5D3 raw

Hi guys, here's a fashion film I shot with Canon 5D MK III with Magic Lantern raw format. Hope you enjoy!

Old October 18th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Fashion film on 5D3 raw

Yep. Like.

Well done.
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you very much!!
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Very nice. Great shooting!

I am still amazed at the transformation of this camera with RAW video. Now that the detail is there the other filmic qualities everybody liked are even stronger imho.

Which CF cards are you using? To be honest, I am kind of on the sidelines with RAW until a more stable or longer length solution appears. It seems to me the CF cards are pretty much at their maximum to record all of the data and that just does not make me comfortable. Was hoping for an SSD solution but that seems stuck in the mud.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Very nice indeed. Nice subject matter too..
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Nice footage.

I too am interested in your experiences at using the Magic Lantern firmware, how difficult was it to install, are there any side effects - camera runs hot, hangs and needs to be rebooted etc.. Does it have any adverse effect on shooting stills?

Maybe this isn't the thread for that discussion but its hard not to ask after seeing the footage.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Chuck:

There are a few tricks to getting Magic Lantern and its raw version running. I only have the 5D 2 but have been successful shooting long runs. With that camera, the last time I used it I could not get 1920 wide, but could get a slightly smaller 16x9 frame. I dont think they have gotten sound to raw yet at least with the 5D2. I do think they are getting full frame in the 5D3 though.
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Trustee

Great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
I too am interested in your experiences at using the Magic Lantern firmware, how difficult was it to install, are there any side effects - camera runs hot, hangs and needs to be rebooted etc.. Does it have any adverse effect on shooting stills?
It's easy to install and, at least on our Mark ii's, has been incredibly stable. It's possible my battery life is shorter, but I"m not sure. Haven't noticed anything else negative.

Being able to shoot longer than 12 minutes, plus having the additional features like zebra stripes, or seeing if our colors are blown out or under exposed, makes it much easier to work.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #9
New Boot

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy these past few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Very nice. Great shooting!

I am still amazed at the transformation of this camera with RAW video. Now that the detail is there the other filmic qualities everybody liked are even stronger imho.

Which CF cards are you using? To be honest, I am kind of on the sidelines with RAW until a more stable or longer length solution appears. It seems to me the CF cards are pretty much at their maximum to record all of the data and that just does not make me comfortable. Was hoping for an SSD solution but that seems stuck in the mud.
I'm using Komputerbay 1000x 64gb cards. I'm on the fence right now in terms of recommending this brand. My first KB card became corrupted on a gig I did. I was fortunate that it "bricked" early into the gig so I didn't lose a lot of valuable footage. That being said, I stuck with this brand because it's nearly twice as cheap as Lexar's version. I currently have two Komputerbay 1000x 64gb and thus far it's been working flawlessly.

As for the RAW itself, I have yet to experience any instability with the firmware. I have Magic Lantern in both my 5D3 and 60D. It's been on my 60D for almost 2 years now I think. You'd be amazed at how stable the ML firmware is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Very nice indeed. Nice subject matter too..
Thank you very much and yes I think she's pretty.

Quote:
Nice footage.

Maybe this isn't the thread for that discussion but its hard not to ask after seeing the footage.
It's very easy to install, although I had a tougher time getting it on my 5D3 versus 60D for some reason. I haven't experienced any major issues thus far and I've been using Magic Lantern firmware for almost 2 years (started with 60D). Once in awhile I would get a few error messages, but then I would just take out the battery and the issue would be resolved.

It has no bad effect on shooting stills and I've gone through many photo shoots. Magic Lantern actually helps me out with some of my shot composition. The firmware has zebras, focus peak, spotmeter, histogram, waveform, vectorscope, etc etc that I can turn on. But they can only be viewed in live view, but it's good for checking a scene prior to shooting.

Hope this all helps!
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Trustee

Sorry to turn this into a camera tread but what version of ML did you use and where did you download it from. I checked out the ML website, its a bit confusing about what version of the software you need for either the 7D or 5D3.

Thanks for the help.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Sorry to turn this into a camera tread but what version of ML did you use and where did you download it from. I checked out the ML website, its a bit confusing about what version of the software you need for either the 7D or 5D3.

Thanks for the help.
From ML site and I admit it is somewhat confusing to navigate through. They have threads that link to other threads that link to more threads. I'm currently using August 21st build.

Here's a link to get to the all the builds for the Canon cameras: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
There's a dropdown to let you choose older builds if you don't want the latest.

Only reason why I haven't updated to latest version is because mine has been working perfectly.
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work