DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   DRASTIC MEASURES - Teaser Trailer (Feedback Please) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/519661-drastic-measures-teaser-trailer-feedback-please.html)

Robert James Haynes October 25th, 2013 09:57 PM

DRASTIC MEASURES - Teaser Trailer (Feedback Please)

Hello all,

I just cut this teaser trailer for a short sci-fi horror film called 'Drastic Measures' and wanted some constructive criticism.

Does it make sense? Does this trailer make you interested in seeing this film? And so on.

Here is the YouTube link:

For the people interested in the technical stuff, it was shot on a Canon 5D Mark iii by Writer/Director/DoP Christine Carstairs. Edited on FCPX by me.

So please let me know what you think!

Noa Put October 26th, 2013 02:01 PM

Re: DRASTIC MEASURES - Teaser Trailer (Feedback Please)

To be honest, I am not sure what this movie is about, what I think I got from it that some people died and those who survived where sick and something was wrong with them (a bacterial infection of some kind, based on that shot from that guys neck?) and there is a need for drastic measures, it's ofcourse because English is not my native language but that one sentence about "that thing that has a 100%..." and something else I didn't understand what the meaning of that word was.

The few shots that are shown with people looking very serious and that one guy attacking someone, at least I think he did, is not enough to make me want to see more. Also the shot where is said "infact if we can't pull it off" looks weird, you see a guy talking to another guy and it looks like he is saying that sentence but it looks like the other guy is talking as well or that they are in an argument but I only hear one voice.

I know making a trailer is difficult, you might give away too much or the trailer might be better then the movie but in that case you managed to get peoples attention :) With this trailer I"m not sure what to think.

Robert James Haynes October 28th, 2013 05:36 PM

Yeah, it is certainly tricky trying to cut a teaser trailer together.You want to gain the viewer's interest, but also you try not to give away too much.

I'm sorry it failed to make you want to see more.

Maybe we'll catch your interest with the next one, or better yet with the completed short film.

But thank you for taking the time to leave your detailed feedback. It is very appreciated!

Noa Put October 28th, 2013 05:38 PM

It's only an opinion from one person and you know what they say about opinions :) It would be helpful if others can comment as well?

Duane Adam October 29th, 2013 02:45 PM

Trailers typically tell an outline of the story with narration, movie clips and graphics. Yours used only clips so maybe that's one area to look at. I would certainly correct the actor attempting to pronounce "communicability", or maybe change that to contagious or something. Trailers usually build to a climax so you may need more than 38 seconds to get there and a more exciting finish.

I know you probably don't have $10 million to spend on effects, but check out this Hollywood trailer and watch how it tells the story. The premise is stated in the very first line, and it builds all the way to the end.