DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Key & Peele spoof of vanity music videos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/520488-key-peele-spoof-vanity-music-videos.html)

Charles Papert December 6th, 2013 04:03 AM

Key & Peele spoof of vanity music videos

I think the many production in-jokes in this one will be enjoyed by many here.

We shot the main part of the video with our standard gear package: Arri Alexas with Alura zooms. I used white ProMists, either a 1 or 2 depending on the shot (heaviest diffusion I've used in a long time). The aerials were done on a hexacopter flying an NEX7 courtesy of Vortex Aerials, who did a great job.

For the low-budget end of the video, we stripped down to a beat-up HVX200 owned and manned by our director Peter Atencio, with one bounce card. We overly-sharpened the image in color correction to simulate a cheaper looking camera (the HVX looked too good!). I love the plethora of bad effects and wipes Peter built into this section, along with the forced perspective with the plastic horse and Stimpy doll.

Inspired lunacy and as always, I love being a part of it.

Duane Adam December 6th, 2013 10:10 AM

Re: Key & Peele spoof of vanity music videos

Watching the $15,000 disintegrate was absolutely hilarious.

James Kuhn December 6th, 2013 12:34 PM

Charles...'Inspired lunacy' indeed!

Loved it!

Best regards,

J.

Tom Bostick December 6th, 2013 02:28 PM

saw this last night, loved it!

Robert Benda December 6th, 2013 02:55 PM

Great stuff.

I love that your camera was still too nice for the 2nd part. Why not record it via smartphone? :)

Charles Papert December 6th, 2013 05:15 PM

Haha Robert--probably would have still looked too good!

Don Bloom December 6th, 2013 10:14 PM

I think I've got a practically new Panasonic VHS-C around somewhere! I know that wouldn't look too good ;-)

Charles Papert December 7th, 2013 09:20 AM

We've certainly explored the legacy look before on the show, from Season 2's sketch about Obama in college (shot on a 1985 Magnavox home video cam, originally owned by DVinfo's own Lorinda Norton):

And this year we did four sketches using JVC KY1900 3-tube cameras from the early 80's:

The tube cameras have a look that would be hard to replicate even with a look in post. When we need to do a modern broadcast look we mostly add sharpening and lift the gamma a bit in color correction. It would be kind of fun to shoot an early 2000's piece with an XL1, although again the look is not so radically different as to make that an obvious connection for the viewer.