C100 Short Film Shot With 2 Person Crew at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Trustee

C100 Short Film Shot With 2 Person Crew

If you are looking for something shot on a C100... 2 person crew, 2 actors, 1 day. I've gotten some really amazing responces from people who have seen this because the gear doesn't get in the way of the deeply emotional story that unfolds. Its about a couple dealing with end of life issues.... in fact some of the comments have been about the fact I +didn't+ gratutiously move the camera. it wouldn't of added anything. really just watch !

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 Short Film Shot With 2 Person Crew

Tears.

Came looking for a C100 video, but didn't think about the camera much :)
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Well Steve, that was very carefully and sensitively done. I don't think I cared either what camera it was shot on.

The production shows a good deal of preparation and planning went into the piece. I dare say the script and storyboards were all done before the camera rolled. The actors were very natural and worked well with each other to give a convincing performance of a long time couple.

I noted that careful attention was paid to the capturing and mixing of all the audio in the film, giving a very natural and convincing soundscape to the location.

I did spot the continuity error, was that deliberate?

Excellent work!
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Trustee

thanks, glad you liked it ! no I didn't storyboard a thing. from having been shooting for 25+ years you just know how to block your shots out, what will work in editing.

what did matter was rehearsals with the actors. we fine tuned lines, changed and dropped others. 2 or 3 scenes we improv'd that day. really the actors made my life so much easier. it tool me a long time to find them and the location. however when I did it all came together really quick. they had worked together once or twice before so they knew each other. that was a big help given the intamacy I needed them to bring to the screen.

as for audio, it hugely helps to have the right gear to start with - cmc64 for interiors, COS11's for the car shots, and CS3e in rycote S for the outdoor shots ( well most of them anyway ). SD 552 mixer that recorded most of the time. there are a few bits of camera audio for NAT that are in there. the opening was probably the hardest part of the mix by far as I pieced the dialog together from several takes.

continuity error ? was it the cigarette ? :)

oh and if you do like it, don't be afraid to share on FB or TW. I'm really trying to get this out to a wider audience. THANKS!
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Major Player

The actors really gave natural sounding dialogue interactions with each other. So obviously your search for the right actors was worthwhile.

Yes, the cigarette. I have worked a fair bit as an extra on TV and film and was always impressed with the woman (it was usually women) who ran the continuity, running around with polaroids hole-punched through one corner and secured with a big ring, making sure none of us had changed our appearance since lunch or whatever. So it is something I tend to look for in a film. It will probably be unnoticed by almost everyone else. It was a long shot after all.

I will spread the word. Popped it on my FB and blog.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

As a writer and C100 owner I was blown away with this short piece. I hope you enter it in some great festivals. It is very difficult to bring out the emotions of your viewer in such a short piece. Outstanding job!

bill

Last edited by Bill Scherer; February 3rd, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
Bill Scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #7
Wrangler

Steve, I moved this thread to the "Show Your Work" forum to give it a wider audience.

Superbly crafted and powerful.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #8
Major Player

Awesome. I was moved.
Old February 16th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

A well done short.
Michael Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work