DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Anti-shark cull protest Western Australia. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/521451-anti-shark-cull-protest-western-australia.html)

Bob Hart February 4th, 2014 11:03 AM

Anti-shark cull protest Western Australia.

This not quite all my work. I just swung ambient sound for it. Over on reduser, one commenter advocated that somebody should do 4K coverage for purpose of a future-proof documentary on what has become a hot potato over here in the West. A protest group of about 6000 mustered at Cottesloe Beach near Perth City to protest against the culling of an endangered species the great white shark. The cull has been prompted by a significant increase in fatal shark attacks on our coast. It is contended that the agin case is that a "meat curtain" is being established off our beaches which will attract sharks, that by-catch will do more harm than good and thus far has been proven in that rare and endangered tiger sharks have been caught but no great whites yet.

The performer, whose only name I was able to identify was "Sumi" will pass all proceeds from her track to Sea Shepherd Australia. It was only at the last minute almost, that it became apparent no one else was sticking their hand up, so I persuaded Red Epic owner-operator Peter Cheng to go along and film the event. So there go I, SI2K owner-operator becoming a turncoat and associating with the dreaded RED.

Tim Lewis February 4th, 2014 06:41 PM

Re: Anti-shark cull protest Western Australia.

I was going to go to this too for filming practice, but was in Port Kennedy on Saturday morning buying a replacement tripod.

Finally the guy got out of shot on the right! Then he came back.

There were also pro cull protesters there, so as Bob says it is a divisive issue here in the West.

Bob Hart February 5th, 2014 01:59 AM

Tim. There was a smaller gathering at Warnbro Beach at 10-30am. People ambling into the shot.?? - Peter, the camera operator had to contend with a bit of that. We only had one Epic operator. It would have been better to have had two or three but one is better than nothing. There was some unofficial talk about a Parliament House rally.

Sabyasachi Patra February 5th, 2014 03:05 AM

Great cause. Happy to see that the message is being spread.

Bob Hart February 6th, 2014 11:21 AM

There were a couple of bogans drove by and shouted some colourful words at us as we unloaded the camera gear from the car onto a garden cart to truck it about 3/4 of a km to the site.

The media guys managed to find sanctuary on the beach access road for their vehicles. I shall have to investigate a media pass next time.

Apparently some clowns egged some people but were shut down by the constabulary, so the story goes.

One lone pro-cull guy was holding a sign up near the parking strip above the speaker's area. He claimed to have been intimidated.

Others from the protest claim he overstated what happened. Apparently some protesters held their own placard in front of his to obscure it.

By and large it was an orderly event.