DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Bruges on the gh3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/522062-bruges-gh3.html)

Noa Put March 6th, 2014 06:26 PM

Bruges on the gh3

I thought I'd share my second video I made in Bruges, other camera this time, my gh3 and a set of primes, the Samyang 7,5mm, panasonic 25mm f1.4, Omympus 12mm f2.0 and 75mm f1.8.

I also used a variable nd filter but I"m utterly annoyed that I damaged it because of something that's supposed to makes switching nd filters easier, I have these magnetic adapters (don't recall the name) which makes it easy just to swap nd filters, so I was dragging my camera which was attached to a slider and which was attached to a tripod on my shoulder throughout town when I accidentally bumped the filter with my shoulder and it just popped off and smacked against the floor. There is a small crack in the glass near the edge of the ring which is no issue because it's a much larger filter in diameter then my small lumix lenses so that doesn't show up in the camera's frame but turning the ring had become very hard, I have to take it off each time now and force it to set a nd value. I"m not using those "handy" magnetic adapters anymore, that was a bloody expensive nd filter, rather just screw it on tight each time.
Anyways, it's interesting to see the difference between both camera's if you look at the older rx10 video.

I took my rx10 to Bruges mainly for hands on experience as I needed to use it on a paid job, setting exposure on the rx10 is much easier then on my gh3 where I"m not always 100% sure if I set it right (I use the histogram) but still find it a bit of a guessinggame, the rx10 has much better exposure aids, other then that they both perform great and I enjoy using both camera's, even if both have some functionality quirks, hopefully I"ll find some more time available soon to do another scenery video, they are fun to do :)

Tim Lewis March 6th, 2014 07:35 PM

Re: Bruges on the gh3

Great work Noa. I haven't been to Bruges for ages but I loved seeing the daffodils out in the park. Both times I went there the park was a sea of yellow. I think I preferred the first video as it was more fluid. The music for the second was less peaceful.

Noa Put March 6th, 2014 07:44 PM

The second video with the rx10 was actually more of a test video to get to know the camera, I just threw some license free music under it which I could find back online but you are right it doesn't fit, the first one however with the gh3 is not a test :) The daffodils where nice, they just started to bloom but gave a nice accent.

Steven Bills March 7th, 2014 11:55 AM

Some really nice shots in that first video. Well done!

What other gear was used on that shoot? (sticks,slider, etc...)

Thanks for sharing.

SB

Tim Polster March 7th, 2014 12:09 PM

Thanks for sharing Noa. This may sound strange, but preferred the look of the RX10 over the GH3.

James Manford March 7th, 2014 03:52 PM

Preferred the RX10 look my self ...

You could probably achieve the same colour with a bit of grading on the GH3.

Noa Put March 8th, 2014 02:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thx for the responses, one big difference between the gh3 and the rx10 is shallow dof that I can get more with the faster primes, the rx10 has a more front to back sharpness, I included some framegrabs from similar shots between 2 camera's. When I was shooting with the gh3 it was also a sunny almost cloudless day so sun intensity was about the same. Only the time of shooting was different as you can see from the shades on the building in the first shot.

What also needs to be considered is presets ofcourse, both camera's where set to standard with the contrast dialed down completely so I could get more info from the shadows, both camera's look different in that way, I do prefer to shoot with the contrast dialed down as this should give me more room to match camera's but I still need to test to see which presets between the gh3 and rx10 match best.

Had my tripod with a 501hdv manfrottohead with me and the slider was home made with a older 701rc2 manfrotto head attached to it, see attached image. That slider consists of a rail and sled that I ordered directly from the supplier for about 100 dollar and the feet I took from my Konova k2 as that one doesn't work and attached those to the rail I got.

Think both the rx10 and gh3 look good, both have their distinctive looks and which cameralook you prefer is personal preference, I like the gh3 image better as it has a more cinematic look to it.

My body still hurts from dragging the tripod, slider and backpack along all day :) Good thing those m4/3 lenses times are so tiny and light or else I wouldn't have made it through the end of day.

Tim Polster March 8th, 2014 10:08 AM

Noa, your slider is looking great for being homemade. It really adds to the finished work.

I don't think DOF plays a part in the screen grab shots you posted between the two cameras. The Sony is just representing more detail in my view. I think they put a really nice lens on the front of the RX10. If it had better codec options I would be checking them out but I am tired of AVCHD!

Was the GH3 video sharpened? I think one reason I am choosing the Sony is that the GH3 looks a little digital in comparison to me. The GH3 has some of the same color shifts that I noticed when I owned GH2s as well. There is an overall green tint to the frame as well as blue in the shadows. The Sony, as often Sony's are has an overall trend towards blue. As James stated, this can all be ironed out with color correction, but given the codecs are not the strongest point of stills cameras, it is probably worthwhile to correct in-camera.

Noa Put March 8th, 2014 10:59 AM

No, not in the framegrabs, those where with a large dof, there are several shots in there which would have not been possible with the RX10 at the same focal length though. In terms of sharpness the rx10 isn't sharper then the GH3, the Vimeo samples are not a good example for that. From looking at the raw files I"d say they both perform the same with the GH3 providing a sharper image at high ISO's, something I did test recently, if I find the time I will shoot a high detail scene to see how they match up resolutionwise.
The only shots that where sharpened on the gh3 where the fisheye ones, that samyang lens was a lot softer then my other panasonic lenses and I had to sharpen it by 30% to make them match.

Oren Arieli March 8th, 2014 01:21 PM

Nicely done Noa, the motion really enhances the shots. I prefer the GH3 personally, but I'm not a fan of the fish-eye lens. It tends to draw attention to itself, rather than to the subject. Makes me look forward to visiting Bruges one day. I'll be taking my Panny G6 to Paris soon, but won't have the luxury of taking a slider. They are great travel cameras and a light alternative to DSLRs.

John McCully March 8th, 2014 03:04 PM

Lovely Noa, as usual; you always deliver. Yes, seems not a lot between the RX10 and the GH3 when it comes to the end result. I might need to acquire a GH3 as I am having problems with the RX10 AVCHD codec under certain shooting conditions.

Good stuff. Cheers...

Noa Put March 9th, 2014 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1835935)
I'm not a fan of the fish-eye lens.

I do admit you have to be carefully not to overuse it, it can be very nice to use if you need to get a large environment in one image, it's a specialty lens to be used with care, I was planning to get the panny 7-14 but that was 3 times the price but actually more usefull, this lens will be used a very few times at a wedding for some creative shots or to capture a very large place, like a church, a venue etc but those will be short shots but I can think of a moment where it can be useful in cramped spaces for continuous coverage and when you want to have it all in frame. It's a fun lens for sure.

About the luxury to take the slider, well, I can tell it was not luxury at all, my back still hurts from dragging my backpack, tripod and slider along all day, won't be doing that again for these type of shoots. If I"m all day in one place and if I don't need to move around that much then sure but otherwise these sliders are a pain to carry and setup. But they do make your videos more dynamic, especially when there is no other movement in the frame. With my personal videos I like to experiment with motion or often don't move the camera at all and let the image speak for itself.

Bruges is a very nice place, they have something what they call "the golden triangle" which has all the old buidlings, the canals with the bridges etc, in the summer though only that area is swamped with tourists, thousands of people shooting photo's like crazy, I did a weddingshoot there last year and the tourists kept following us taking pictures, asking if they could stand next to the bride for a picture as well, each time a boat passed you saw everyone holding smartphones and tablets up high to shoot the couple, funny stuff :)

Noa Put March 9th, 2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McCully (Post 1835969)
I might need to acquire a GH3 as I am having problems with the RX10 AVCHD codec under certain shooting conditions.

Is that with a lot of detail and movement? I have not seen this in my footage yet.

James Manford March 9th, 2014 02:56 AM

In Bruges with Colin Farrell ... one of my fav films.

Makes me want to visit Bruges one day as well. Your video definitely helps too. Looks like a photogenic place ideal for some great shots.

John McCully March 9th, 2014 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1836106)
Is that with a lot of detail and movement?

Here is a screen cap that shows the breakdown of the codec. Zoom in on the jpg to view the blockiness. It doesn't look too bad here but in the MP4 file when playing it is unacceptable. This is the kind of shot where I am having problems. The original footage out of the camera is fine but after light grading - color correction, light sharpening and levels adjustment - and then rendering off to AVCHD this is what I see. The bush in the foreground is also unacceptably noisy but of course you won't see that in this jpg.

So yes, it is with a lot of detail but not a lot of movement, in fact the bush in the background is totally still (like the sail on the sailboat); barely a breeze when I shot that. When I render off to XDCAM 35mbps the problem is not so obvious. Speaking of which it was precisely this kind of shot that when shooting with the EX1 the footage was unacceptably noisy.

Generally the codec holds up just fine. I don't think it is surprising that AVCHD graded and rendered off to AVCHD again is pushing it and under some conditions it just doesn't cut it. Maybe the XAVC S codec deployed in the FDR-AX100 will fare better. We shall see...