DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Japanese garden on the Sony rx10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/522455-japanese-garden-sony-rx10.html)

Noa Put March 28th, 2014 02:02 PM

Japanese garden on the Sony rx10

I went back today to the Japanese garden I visited last year (see - http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...se-garden.html), only a different period now and other camera, took my rx10 with me, a tripod and my home made slider.
Beside the slow zoom while recording this is a great camera to shoot with, everything is so easy to shoot with, not frustrating like so many dslr's.

I have to show it with a password for the time being, I have a requested a license for the music (is from Moby) which is free for personal use but have no approval yet, so I cheated a bit and recorded the music live through my speakers while previewing it just that I could start editing it, as soon as I get the approval I"ll remove the password, if I don't get an approval, well, then it's off looking for something else. :)

I thought I'd show it in the meanwhile to see what you think, this time I used the vivid preset with +2 on sharpness and pushed the colors a bit more in post, probably over the top but wanted to see how it looked like as I took Dan Carters preset he used in his last video (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...ewel-seas.html) and his videos always look really great to me. I"m still not satisfied with the sharpness I get on vimeo as Dan's videos seem sharper, this time I edited in a 50p project (like it was shot) and also exported it as a high bitrate 1080p 50p file and I let vimeo handle the conversion process, I might try a different approach if I reupload another version.

The vivid preset does crush the blacks a lot so you will lose detail in the shadows but it gives some very nice punchy colors if you are looking for that kind of look. I think I will include some waterfall noises the rx10 recorded as well as the onboard audio is very good, will have to see how that works.

password: test

Tim Polster March 28th, 2014 04:18 PM

Re: Japanese garden on the Sony rx10

Hey Noa,

I like the video a lot. The RX10 is quite an amazing little camera. To me, the colors look great. I agree about the crushed blacks as well. Maybe you can lift the shadows a bit in post and still use this preset?

This camera is a winner for the price and image quality. Once again your slider work is very nice.

Al Gardner March 28th, 2014 05:30 PM

That's pretty awesome! Nice work.

Dave Blackhurst March 28th, 2014 07:55 PM

Looked quite nice - thought it was much more pleasing than the EA50 and the XC900 in the other thread. Just enough depth of focus to show what you were "focused" on, yet not so much that you lost the surroundings.

Maybe a tiny bit dark, but pretty good on my monitors that are supposedly calibrated! Looked sharp enough, of course all those 4k videos are messing with that a bit... I still like the look of the RX10 a lot though!

James Manford March 29th, 2014 02:31 AM

Once you've seen 4K nothing will look as good as it, that's the issue!

I really like your footage though Noa. This is another beautiful example of the Japanese Garden.

Noa Put March 29th, 2014 03:06 AM

Thx for the comments, about 4K, I"m sure it will look sharper even in 1080p but when I view my footage in it's native format on my lcd tv it's much sharper then what I can see on Vimeo, maybe I"m doing something wrong but I have seen sharper rx10 footage online.

Otoh sharpness isn't everything, if the camera has a more limited dynamic range and when highlights clip easily I would prefer to have a bmc pocket alike camera over any 4k camera, with this rx10 or my gh3 you quickly run into it's limitations of a more limited colorspace and dynamic range, both are great camera's, you just need to know your way around dialing the right image preset in as you are better of doing it right in camera and then make some slight adjustments in post, the vivid preset on the rx10 f.i. allows very little room in adjusting anything, the crushed blacks are hardly recoverable without messing up something else in your image.

I could have tried dialing the contrast way back and re-apply it in post which could have saved some detail but I usually stick with something that works for me and don't change anymore, for paid jobs at least, for fun I do test some thing out but usually based on what other users have achieved. In general I"m very pleased with the image I get out of my rx10.

Tim Polster March 29th, 2014 07:20 AM

Noa, is there a way you could send me a short little source clip of the gardens with some crushed blacks? I would like to see how the original footage responds to pushing and pulling in Edius.

I use a site called We Transfer which can send up to 2GB for free. I can PM my e-mail. No worries if you do not want to either. :)

Noa Put March 29th, 2014 10:39 AM

Sure, pm me where to send it to, I"ll send a few native clips straight from the card, one shot in the vivid preset with sharpness +2 (the japanese garden footage) and one shot in the standard preset with the contrast -3 (footage from my "bruges" film.)

Tim Polster March 29th, 2014 05:38 PM

Great. Thanks. I sent you a message.

Ervin Farkas March 30th, 2014 02:39 PM

I would like that too if possible; sending you my email address. Awesome slider work!

Thanks,

Ervin Farkas April 2nd, 2014 07:00 PM

Amazing video quality for a camera barely over $1K.

Thanks, Noa!

Noa Put April 3rd, 2014 12:41 AM

And yet allready people are saying that the imagequality of the rx10 looks a bit like "meh" compared to the new 4k ones, will it ever stop? :)