New showreel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:40 AM   #1
Major Player

New showreel

Here's my latest showreel. Feedback welcome :)

Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New showreel

Hey Jody

Very neat but to be honest I would have taken the message at the end and spanned in thruout the whole video footage rather than having a viewer sit and watch it as just animated text.

To me it would be much more effective if you had overlayed a bit of your text with say, the real estate clip and then add some more over the marathon clip and again over the aerials clip so your message ends with the last bit of video and they are intertwined rather than showing all the video and then showing all the message.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Major Player

To build on what Chris said, I would have more upbeat music at the beginning and have a flashy intro that informs the viewer of everything your company does such as production, post, promos, event videos, aerial photography, real estate, etc.,. Forcing the viewer to watch the whole video to see everything you do is agonizing and people will click away. For example, if I'm looking for someone to make a commercial for my donut shop and your video starts off w/a real estate montage I'm clicking away after 15 seconds thinking, "Well that guy only does real estate videos".

I would also include the names and/or logos of your clients because that adds credibility (even if the client isn't a household name). This might be more of an editor insight than a client insight but I'd like to see some finished pieces (if they are short) or at least snippets of finished pieces. The reel shows off some nice camera work but as far finished products go all you've shown is that you can make a montage to music. If you have enough material I'd even suggest creating different show reels for different topics (one show reel that's just event videos, one that's just promos, one that's just real estate, etc.,) because if I'm looking for some real estate video I probably don't care about event videos or promos. I want someone that knows how to produce a solid real estate video.
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Some good ideas there, I might make some tweaks..
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Well I cut a new version. I tried to spread the titles apart but I just couldn't get it right with the flow of the music. But I did manage to make the intro a bit shorter so it gets to the "upbeat" section a bit quicker. And I got some client logos in at the end too :) Overall I think it's a bit better.

Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work