First 8 minutes of my doc on iFilm.com at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 13th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #1
Trustee

First 8 minutes of my doc on iFilm.com

Check it out...

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2681277

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

ill be the first to say that i think this doc is going to do really really well ash....good job. it left me wanting more....that was the point huh?
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Trustee

The film is on a college tour right now and has been received quite well, even at USC and NYU. It has actually been added to the curriculum in 3 classes at USC. So far I have test scores from over 1000 people and the film is rating 84% in the top 2 boxes (very good and excellent) and 95% in the top 3 (good, very good and excellent). Much better than expected... it is showing internationally as well but in more commercial venues.

ash =o)
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:29 PM   #4
Trustee

Got a mention in the NY Times...

http://tinyurl.com/bhr6k

ash =o)
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Really nice, Ash, I'm really looking forward to seeing the complete documentary!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice Ash. I've got no interest in the band, but now I'm interested in seeing their journey.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Ok, I'm hooked. That's a very interesting insight into the creative workflow. Congrats on your success with this.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #8
New Boot

I caught this documentary recently on a stop in Bloomington, IN. Everybody considering going into the music industry should see it. Very well done!!

I do a small amount of shooting in recording studios - actually even one of the studios shown in your documentary - and I have always had problems dealing with the lighting. You did a great job capturing the warm feeling of the studio but the people were still decently clear. What camera and settings on that camera do you use for these environments?

Again, great job. I hope this continues to be well recieved.

Jennifer
Jennifer Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #9
Trustee

This was all a one man show... just me with a camera. To deal with the light I had to use candles, lamps, etc. Musicians dont want you to ruin their "vibe" with lights. I filmed most of it with an XL1s and used the gain. I created some custom settings to deal with the lack of light and to soften the noise created by the gain. There are lots of grabs of raw footage here:

http://members.aol.com/ashvid/Grabs/

You can see the various ways I dealt with the gain and tried to create an "effect" with it. I try to shoot with the lens long as well, this helps makes the noise less obvious.

I just did an interview with Entertainment Weekly, a story should run in the next week or two.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work