Freedom One Shot with GH4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 28th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Trustee

Freedom One Shot with GH4

Kind of an unofficial camera comparison between the GH4 and the A7s. This was shot at the same time as /DRIVE Clean: Freedom One by Ryan Douthit.

I thought it might be interesting to compare the two camera's. Much of the A7S looks sharper but some of my shots are simply slightly out of focus. Nevertheless its interesting to see how the two camera's differ. I thought the GH4 handled the high contrast lighting quite well, better than my 5D3.

Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Freedom One Shot with GH4

I see quite some aliasing in several shots, did you shoot 50p in full frame (not aps-c) mode on the a7s?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hey, I've been to Pima and it's an awesome place. You could do a whole series on the wide variety of historical aircraft there. Then, when you're done with that, move across the street to the Davis-Monthan boneyard and keep shooting. Well done, Chuck!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Trustee

It is a great place. I have a ton more footage of the museum and aircraft parked outside.
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I see quite some aliasing in several shots, did you shoot 50p in full frame (not aps-c) mode on the a7s?
I shot on the GH4, the other video by Ryan was shot with the A7S.

There's not as much aliasing in 1080 as there is at 720, but there is a little.
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I was just saying because I read somewhere in this forum that the a7s causes aliasing in 50p when shooting full frame but not in 25p? But if I understand you right this entire video was shot on the gh4?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Yes, 90% of it was GH4 the rest was Canon 5D3 and the timelapse was a GoPro.

You can check out Ryan's Freedom One video, I believe the entire thing was shot with the A7s. I was thinking about posting this video in his thread to make the comparison easier but thought better of it. That would be kind of disrespectful.

Ryan's version was for commercial purposes so I waited until they posted theirs online before posting this version, not that it would have made any difference.

I think the GH4 holds up fairly well. I've only used it for a couple of productions but I'm really happy with it. I have the Metabones Speed adapter for Canon EF lenses which works well but it seems to drain the battery considerably faster.
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Chuck,

Fancy running into you here.

It's true that the A7S does have some aliasing issues at 60p. I shot the /DRIVE episode at 30p (and pretty much only use 30p on the A7S) for this reason. At that setting the A7S has practically no aliasing or moire issues.

I love seeing two totally different approaches to the same event.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work