DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   New property film-Kessler 2nd shooter, timelapse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/527139-new-property-film-kessler-2nd-shooter-timelapse.html)

Duane Adam March 3rd, 2015 09:05 PM

New property film-Kessler 2nd shooter, timelapse

Trying to break new ground with each production and used the Kessler 2nd shooter to attempt day/night video in a way I haven't seen before. Learning that timelapse and panning are a tough combination but I did get one good pool shot. Suggestions always welcome.

http://duaneadam.com/16vasqueztrail.html

Mark Watson March 4th, 2015 02:18 AM

Re: New property film-Kessler 2nd shooter, timelapse

Duane,

Nice work there. The colors looked good, did you grade that? Had a warm feel to it. I have to say, my favorite part was where the gentleman was talking about this $9M secluded paradise of a home and says how much he likes the garage. I can relate. I bought a home in the Pacific Northwest a year ago and it was no accident that it came with a 2,000 square foot work shop.

Mark

Mike Watson March 4th, 2015 03:08 AM

Geez. Nice place.

I am fascinated in the "show your work" section with stuff that I see in other people's videos that I like, but probably would have tried to talk the client out of... the young woman narrator, and her lighting, I really liked, and would not have had the foresight to choose myself.

Interview 2-shot with the sellers... 2-shots never work well IMHO. In the first shot the woman is speaking and the guy is bored, nervous, and fidgety and I'm immediately put off by it. In a run-of-the-mill real estate video I wouldn't make much mention of this, but in this case it's obviously more than that, and I really felt like that was a weak point.

Second comment is that... five years ago I left the corporate world and started my own video production company, and my last day of work when the fu@#$ing alarm clock went off, I thought to myself... well, I'll never have to hear that thing again! Obviously not true, but IMHO the worst part of my day is when my alarm clock goes off. That would not be my choice way to start a video for a $9m property.

I thought the "storyline" of the vehicle driving away was a little more storyline than I'm looking for in a real estate video, especially in the first :30 of the video when I just want to see the house.

If there is only parking for 17 cars...where will I park the rest of my cars?!?!

Ok, that's all. Good piece!

Duane Adam March 4th, 2015 09:08 AM

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. The biggest objection to the property's location is the "drive" so I felt it needed to be glamorized. I used a similar strategy/video a few years back and ended up selling to an out of state car collector so we'll see if it works again. Good observation on the seller's interview, I'm keeping her part but may pan into just her.

Gary Huff March 4th, 2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1878706)
2-shots never work well IMHO. In the first shot the woman is speaking and the guy is bored, nervous, and fidgety and I'm immediately put off by it.

I absolutely agree with this. I am not a fan of the 2-shot. You always have the one individual who will dominate while the other just looks awkward. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Chuck Spaulding March 4th, 2015 12:10 PM

I agree about the two shot.

If you have to do it then don't have the talent sit so flat or straight on to the camera and give them a little look room. They also don't have to talk to the camera. Use two camera's, this enables you to do a couple of things that can help. You can frame one camera on a MCU of the two shot, lock that camera off and operate the second for close-ups potentially giving you three shots to edit from. Separate the talent even more and shoot each person over the shoulder from the perspective of the other. But probably the best advice is simply to avoid shooting these whenever possible.

I really like how people are trying to push the limits with property videos. I really don't like being critical of other peoples work but I think its helpful for everyone to learn, even if you don't agree with the suggestions or comments. That's my disclaimer because i'm going to be a little more critical than politically correct. The reason is that I think this is a good property video that could have easily been a great property video.

The opening concept was great, start with a story but way too long. I get it, leaving for work. The flow was great until he backs out of the driveway and you cut from the TL shot to a very dark shot of the car driving away. You don't need that shot. it doesn't really add anything to the story sequence that I don't already know and you cut from a good TL of the sun coming up to it being dark again. It would move much better if you had cut to the shots going through the fields. You also have some nice shots of the car on the windy road but then you cut to a heavily vignetted shot of the car followed quickly by a sequence of shots which includes an aerial shot where we can see the shadow of the props and another heavily vignetted shot. Don't use shots that are marginal because of exposure, you can see the props, etc..

You have some really good timelapse that looks like it was shot with a DSLR and some that looks like it was shot with a GoPro. GoPro TL's are easy to do and work great but see if you can get them to match a bit better, try lowering the saturation on the GoPro TL a bit.

Great use of aerial and timelapse. Your stills are very good and I really like how you dissolved between the corrected and original in a couple of shots.

I'm guessing the young lady was the agent? There's a lot of really nice shots in this, it certainly makes that property look great. For me I think its just a little more about the finishing, getting rid of shots you don't need, doing a little more color balancing so there's not such a noticeable difference between the stills, video and GoPro footage.

Duane Adam March 4th, 2015 02:01 PM

Thanks everyone. I've learned a ton here and really appreciate the critiques. The young narrator isn't the agent, I am. Two things that take me out property videos are seeing the agent, even when it's me, and constant panning. Trying to avoid both whenever possible. Timelapse was raw GH3 and Nikon d800 rendered to 4k AVI masters. No Gopro.

Chuck Spaulding March 4th, 2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 1878752)
Thanks everyone. I've learned a ton here and really appreciate the critiques. The young narrator isn't the agent, I am. Two things that take me out property videos are seeing the agent, even when it's me, and constant panning. Trying to avoid both whenever possible. Timelapse was raw GH3 and Nikon d800 rendered to 4k AVI masters. No Gopro.

One of those camera's, or the processing of the TL, made it look very GoPro'sh, over saturated and a little soft. What did you fly? So who is the young lady? It just felt a little strange that she appeared and we don't know who she is.

Duane Adam March 4th, 2015 05:35 PM

She's credited as a narrator at the end. Tricky using a non agent spokesperson and still have it fit within real estate and company guidelines. The softer TL is probably the GH3 which isn't nearly as detailed as the d800. If memory serves it's 10 bit vs 12 bit for the Nikon.