DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Antwerp station on a gopro and gh4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/527239-antwerp-station-gopro-gh4.html)

Noa Put March 11th, 2015 05:33 PM

Antwerp station on a gopro and gh4

I like architecture and I often find myself shooting buildings for fun :) Today I went to Antwerp station with my gopro 4 black with a feiyu g4 and a gh4 with a 12-35mm, this is the second station I"m visiting as I want to do a series on video's about remarkable architectures. (the first one I posted here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-you...uillemins.html)

All steadicam shots are with the gopro, all stationary shots are from the gh4. I used 2.7k 50p on the gopro and 4K on the gh4. Used warp stabilizer in after effects to stabilize the gopro footage, it's short but sweet :)

Chuck Spaulding March 12th, 2015 12:47 AM

Re: Antwerp station on a gopro and gh4

Very nice. Curious, did you get permission to shoot there? Not suggesting that you need it, just wondering if people bother you when your shooting this sort of thing.

GoPro footage looks good. Why 2.7K? For the frame rate?

What did you use for a steadicam?

Noa Put March 12th, 2015 02:14 AM

It's one of those mini 3 axis gimbals I used, the feiyu g4. I used 2.7k because it's 50 frames/sec and wanted to slow down all my steadicam footage, can't do that with 4K 25p. The footage from the gopro looks better without stabilization, after I run in through after effects the resolution gets a hit but still looks good enough to cut with other camera's.

Just like in the station in Liege no one bothered me and security did see me filming but didn't respond, for them I was probably just another tourist. :) For my gh4 I used such a mini gorillapod with these flexible legs. Everything I had with me fitted in one small shoulderbag.

Kathy Smith March 18th, 2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1879316)
It's one of those mini 3 axis gimbals I used, the feiyu g4. I used 2.7k because it's 50 frames/sec and wanted to slow down all my steadicam footage, can't do that with 4K 25p. The footage from the gopro looks better without stabilization, after I run in through after effects the resolution gets a hit but still looks good enough to cut with other camera's.

Just like in the station in Liege no one bothered me and security did see me filming but didn't respond, for them I was probably just another tourist. :) For my gh4 I used such a mini gorillapod with these flexible legs. Everything I had with me fitted in one small shoulderbag.

Hey Noa, I have GoPro 3 and Feiyu g3. I haven't used it yet but your footage looks great. Did you shoot it in wide. medium or narrow? I can't decide what frame rate to use. If I'm just walking and following someone, what would you use on the GoPro. My other footage is 24p.
Do you have any other examples from this camera and stabilizer?
Thanks

Noa Put March 18th, 2015 02:16 PM

I shot below videos with the same combo, only the static shots are gh4 but all moving ones is gopro 4 black and feiyu.

I prefer to shoot in the 2.7k 50fps mode because it allows me to slow down my footage by 50% as it helps with smoothing the footage more. 2.7k or even 4K is also better when stabilizing in post because there is not so much detail loss after stabilization and before you take the 2.7k or 4K file into a 1080p project and scale it down. Not sure what shooting modes the gopro 3 has but if you could I would select one with the higher 50fps mode, it will also reduce stutter if you do a panning move. I shot medium wide most of the time because it doesn't distort that much but shoot superwide if needed depending what I want to show. In gopro studio I now also correct the fisheye distortion.

Kathy Smith March 18th, 2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1880118)
I shot below videos with the same combo, only the static shots are gh4 but all moving ones is gopro 4 black and feiyu.

I prefer to shoot in the 2.7k 50fps mode because it allows me to slow down my footage by 50% as it helps with smoothing the footage more. 2.7k or even 4K is also better when stabilizing in post because there is not so much detail loss after stabilization and before you take the 2.7k or 4K file into a 1080p project and scale it down. Not sure what shooting modes the gopro 3 has but if you could I would select one with the higher 50fps mode, it will also reduce stutter if you do a panning move. I shot medium wide most of the time because it doesn't distort that much but shoot superwide if needed depending what I want to show. In gopro studio I now also correct the fisheye distortion.

Coalmine on a Feiyu G4 and a gopro4 black on Vimeo
Gare de Liege-Guillemins on Vimeo

Do you then drop it into a 24fps timeline? What frame rate would you shoot if you were not going to slow the footage down, or you couldn't slow it down because it mattered what speed the people are moving at?

Noa Put March 18th, 2015 03:53 PM

No, I live in pal country so my timeline is always 25p. No matter if I shoot 50p or 25p, I always drop the footage into a 25p project.
When I shoot video I prefer to use 50p so I always have the choice in post to slow the footage down and panning motion is also smoother. I only shoot 25p when I have no other choice like when shooting 4K on either my gopro, gh4 or ax100 because all 3 only do 25p in that mode.

Tim Lewis March 25th, 2015 02:41 PM

Great to see that building again Noa. Thanks for the video. I haven't been there for about ten years, but was always impressed with the station when I went to Antwerp to buy diamonds. Took the train from there a couple of time to Amsterdam.

Noa Put March 25th, 2015 03:37 PM

If you google for most beautiful trainstations worldwide Antwerp station is usually on the list together with the one in Luik (or Liège in French), especially after they modernized it and included extra levels, I like how they managed to combine new and modern with the old part.