Case Bella Vista at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 29th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Case Bella Vista

Check this out
ONE day shooting
TWO crew members (me producer/director/editing/grading and a friend for photography)
Shot on Blackmagic 4K
Edited in 4K with Adobe Premiere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1E...ature=youtu.be
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Case Bella Vista

60 viewers and not a comment??
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Is there any specific kind of feedback you were interested in getting?
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Not really...
Do you like it?
It was shot by me and another guy in one day... is it good? decent ?
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The shots were for the most part pleasant. Pacing wise it felt slow. Not relaxed but slow.

The message that didn't come out was the real estate part. The video seemed to celebrate the model more than the location. I think shots showing more of the house with less emphasis on the model would have moved the balance in the right direction.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:43 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
Check this out
ONE day shooting
TWO crew members (me producer/director/editing/grading and a friend for photography)
Shot on Blackmagic 4K
Edited in 4K with Adobe Premiere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1E...ature=youtu.be
People hardly comment anymore. Its kind of discouraging.

I liked the shots. I agree I would like to have a seen a bit more of the house. Its a challenge to figure out different ways to shoot impactful property videos that stand out online. Its a tough way to make a living here in the US.

You might want ot check these guys out:

I Love My Villa

Longer Ain't Better

If you don't mind, how much did you charge for that? Realtors often complain how the Internet has changed the way they have to do business. They only want to pay about $500 for a video and $250 for interior stills then wonder why there's no one around willing to shoot quality media for them...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks fo commenting.
I agree can look slow but was a specific client request. The aim is not to show the house (in fact.. you might notice.. there are TWO different houses in the video). The purpose is to "sell" the italian way of life, italyan style. The opera.. etc.... The idea is to tell rich foreigners.. Contact us to rent or buy a mansion in Italy on lake Como. The client is not particulary interested in THOSE houses... He has (with NO exclusive) many houses to show... So is more the idea of that KIND of houses.
It took me and my friend about 12hours (could have been little less if the model and the singer had been ready before) and then few days to edit (all the light effects are in post, all the clips are graded). I then had to wait 10 days for titling etc.. but basically the job was done. I will write in private how much I charged but It almost reflected the time of two experienced professionals multiplied by 4 (2x day one shooting + 1x 2 days editing) + something for the equipment. Model and singer came from the client.
I editd directly in 4K with a MacMini.. directly from the same SSDs I had in the camera (obviously I made a safe copy before !) on Adobe Premiere... and it went quite smoothly. If you are interested in grading I have some frames BEFORE and AFTER the grading here: siRoma. just use "color" as a login. I didn't want to use RAW format... to much a hassle to use on longer projects.. at least for me and my setup.
I had no story in mind before shooting.. We knew we had just to do our best on shooting day and I would have to do my best on editing. The music parts were sinced in shooting using a MacBook with a black timecoded video. We shot at the computer the first 5 seconds then turned the camera towards the actors. At the end of the day I had 9 sinced streams with singer and sometimes model in frame.
In the end we have a basic story that I divided in three: EVENING/DREAM/MORNING.
At the end I was given some extra money from the client to make a second version as a "gift" for the singer (less house and model, more of him... a sort of basic music video).

Thanks again for watching
M.
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Pretty nice job especially on short notice!

I missed your message completely. Unfortunately, in video, we rarely get narration apart from the video explaining what it was all about. You could solve some of the message problem by adding a few short written messages "It's the lifstyle, in this Villa, and in others". You could also do a voice over instead.

Or "Why not rent or buy a villa from us, and have an opera star sing to you!" Something like that.

You could give entire message with if the camera opened on a sign "Villas for lease or sale" and then open up onto the villa, people would understand from the start what you are trying to do.

I love your work, keep it up, you are a good teacher.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi, I just looked at the video. I like it very much. It was like looking at a story taking place. Having read all the comments before prepped my mind so I knew the purpose of the video.

I particularly like the camera movements, small sideways movement, slow forward movements.

The first thing that struck me was at the very beginning when the model stepped out of the car onto the courtyard. The crisp realistic sound of the shoes on the concrete tiles was great. So I kept paying attention to the audio. Well, the guy sang throughout the entire thing but at the end was the precise sound of the fireworks in the distance. I really like those two details with the audio - the footsteps walking and the fireworks.

I think it's those details that add to the quality of the product. It reminds me of the TV series 'Columbo' which I've been watching recently. Every sound is replicated - picking up the telephone, the rotary dialling, putting the receiver back on the cradle, the sound of a key in the door - every sound that you would hear in real life, is there and once it's well done I think it adds tremendously to the presentation.
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Helen. Both shoes and fireworks have been added afterwards (the fireworks have been added in cgi anyway). Actually.. ion the real world... fireworks are heard few fractions of a second later due to sound speed in the air :) but I went for a sync! Thank you again for appreciating.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I see. Then, in the context of the product you're making I can see why the fireworks sound will have to sync...you don't want the audience paying attention to the sound not matching the fireworks. I hope the client was happy with the product.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:22 AM   #12
Major Player

The client was happy allthough in Italy nothing goes smooth... payments, quarrels, etc... But.. ok. What upsets me is that jobs like that in other countries are done with proper planning, a proper troupe and proper budget. We were just two and did it in 2 days shooting and then I edited in one day .
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The images show you know how to handle a camera and compose your shots, 2 things I didn't like at all though; the blurry vignetting in the outer edges and added orange flaring I saw in some shots and the over saturated and what looked like overexposed shots (starting at 01:03) caused by some kind of glowing filter that was applied, maybe it was to create some dream like effect but it felt out of place for me. I just think those effects are not needed as for me they don't add anything, it actually makes it look a bit more "cheap", if you know what I mean, not saying your work is like that but those effects remind me a bit of these effects that where so popular more then 10 years ago and I think your camera work does not need that to look good.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:34 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
The client was happy allthough in Italy nothing goes smooth... payments, quarrels, etc... But.. ok. What upsets me is that jobs like that in other countries are done with proper planning, a proper troupe and proper budget. We were just two and did it in 2 days shooting and then I edited in one day .
heh...yes, every culture has it's personality. :-)
Helen Habib is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work