NAB 2015 The Year of the Drone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 18th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Trustee

NAB 2015 The Year of the Drone

NAB 2015

I attended NAB 2015 for a couple of days and between meetings I walked around shooting the many different technologies on display. There's no product evaluations, nor am I endorsing any products that appear in the video. For anyone who has never had the chance to attend NAB I just wanted to provide a feel of what its like.

There were drones all over the show, even in booths that seemingly had nothing to do with drones. There's a lot of the same drone technology from last year but also a surprising amount of new drones and gimbals.

I titled this The Year of the Drone, three years ago you could have said that it was The Year of Stereoscopic 3D, I didn't see a single Stereoscopic camera or TV this year. I'm sure there may have been a few but I didn't see any. There's a lot of technology, services and infrastructure that still needs to be developed so that drones don't end up on the same heap with the 8-track tape player and Stereoscopic 3D..
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: NAB 2015 The Year of the Drone

Every year it does seem like a certain "theme" takes over the show. Like you said, a few years ago, it was all 3D. The year after, 4K camera announcements were in vogue. This year, I'd say year of the drone, or... year of the gimbal. Seems like everyone is making some type of gimbal for even the smallest of cameras.

It's always good to see my fellow DVInfo wranglers and others I've come to know over the years.

gb

PS. Nice video!
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Greg.

I enjoy shooting so I practice everywhere I go and produce these sorts of videos. I don't spend a lot of time posting them, just try to pick an appropriate song. Most people into drones know Collin Guinn, there a verse in the song "Some ten year old smart ass has to show me what to do," I have a shot of Collin Guinn…

There's also a shot of Philip Bloom, no one has said anything about noticing him. He's in the Canon Booth. In the good old days of the Letas 35mm adapters and the DVX100 we used to email each other quite often. It was a pleasure to meet him in person.
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #4
Wrangler

I do know who Colin is, and I finally got the story about the change in jobs from DJI to 3DR. Even though I saw Phillip, I didn't feel compelled to point it out.

So what did you shoot that piece with? Were you there Tuesday when the winds were borderline hurricane force? That's the first time in all the years attending NAB that I saw the air so full of dust. Could barely see the giant ferris wheel from the skybridge Tuesday afternoon.

-gb-
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #5
Trustee

I shot this on a GH4.

I was there Tuesday and that was a first for me too. It was amazing how windy and dusty it was. I though about hanging around and shooting the sunset through the dust but I had a raging headache so I just went to my room.

I felt the attendance was noticeably lower than previous years, since I wasn't selling anything I kind of enjoyed it. What did you think?
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
I shot this on a GH4.

I was there Tuesday and that was a first for me too. It was amazing how windy and dusty it was. I though about hanging around and shooting the sunset through the dust but I had a raging headache so I just went to my room.

I felt the attendance was noticeably lower than previous years, since I wasn't selling anything I kind of enjoyed it. What did you think?
The somewhat lower attendance was definitely noticed by a few of us. Although I was intrigued by the 3DR Solo, I can't believe they devoted their entire booth to that one product. It would need a lot of power to hold position in the winds we commonly get here in the north Texas area.

Can't wait until next year to see what theme emerges.

-gb-
Old April 20th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Major Player

I liked the video. Ive always wanted to go to nab but it lines up with the start of my busy season and despite what jessie j says, it is about the money.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Were any makers touting longer flight times via either greater efficiency in their platform or greater energy density in the batteries they support? Anything compelling in terms of lifting capability?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Nice Video Chuck I keep telling my self for a couple of years to go to NAB still not been there... so nice to see this video but also a little bit sad that I was not there this year but maybe next year.
Thank you for posting this video
Rudy Wilms is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work