First effort at timelapse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #1
New Boot

First effort at timelapse

On a recent holiday on the North West of Scotland, I had a go at shooting timelapse and editing it (together with video) Shot on a Panasonic DMC FZ200 on creative movie mode full manual (with the exception of a few short clips).

Criticism especially welcome, particularly since I'm finding my way around both the camera and FCP 7, with which I am (slowly, oh so very slowly) learning about video editing

Here it is:

Many thanks!

Dave
David Jenkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: First effort at timelapse

You can't go wrong in Western Scotland, it's like a rule or something!

You should definitely be having a go at the UWOL Challenges. I think you should definitely get out more and get in as much practice as you can while the weather holds as you are moving in the right direction with some momentum.

I think you need to go and have a look through the manual and also a play with all the settings on your camera. As another Panasonic owner, I would say you have yet to get the best image quality out of the available settings. I was very disappointed with some video I shot for a friend's ordination with my Panasonic FT-3 which I was trying to cut in with my Canon HF200s. The Panasonic was over sharpened and overly contrasty and looked very video-y. I eventually found the right settings and now get lovely video out of it.

All that by way of introduction, I think you can achieve a more natural rendition of your subject with the right settings. I found there was a lot of contrast in the shots and it detracted from you subject which seemed to be a lot softer. My Panny is an old, really cheap consumer model, so I am sure there are a myriad more options on your new FZ200. These are purely personal opinions and others, including yourself, may prefer the setttings you have used so don't read too much into them.

As for the actual shots, the time lapses were good, but you may want to try some with longer exposures for each frame to smooth the action between each frame, the water may look better? Some of the shots were composed with the horizon line a bit too central which left the composition a bit weaker than it needed to be. Also, I liked the shot with the ripples running along the shore towards the camera, but would not have panned to follow them, just let them run out of shot.

You may agree with some, all or none of my comments, as you are free to do, they are offered in genuine interest in all of our improvement on the forum.
Old October 19th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #3
New Boot

many thanks for your helpful comments.

I agree with what you say about the high contrast nature of the images. I kind of agree now that you've mentioned it that it does grate a little with the "soft" nature of the landscape, although personally I lean towards high key / contrast / vivid images.

I'm impressed with the FZ200, but i think a week or to buried in the manual will help get the best out of it.

This and other projects I've been involved in (I do the match day video for a SPFL Championship football side) have given me HUGE respect for video editors, particularly those who work to a tight schedule. Its really difficult!

The comment about longer shutter speeds to "smooth" the action is helpful, and I'll be giving that try as soon as I can.

Thanks again, its appreciated!

Dave
David Jenkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Your welcome Dave, keep up the good work and let's see more from your very pretty country.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work