Farewell University at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 16th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Farewell University

I'm putting a few short profiles together on some graduating seniors reflecting on their time at our university. Any constructive criticism on what I have so far would be great. Shot with a GH4, 12-35mm, metabones XL adapter, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II and Sigma 50mm 1.4.

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Farewell University

Good job. Nice shots. One thing that wore on me as time went on is it starts to become just more & more shots of her. I feel more cutaway shots toward the end are needed, maybe of the campus' main building, sporting events, football or basketball stadium, a digital lab etc. Attractive girl, lol, so I'm not saying that. It's just that it appears to me "Here I am here. And here I am sitting here. And now I'm posing looking away here. And a close up here."
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Makes sense. So just maybe some generic shots of campus thrown in here and there? Any specific place where you think they could fit in well?
Old March 17th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Brock

I think David's comments are on the mark. I think you need to intersperse the shots you have with occasional shots where your student is actually saying the words of the voiceover. It would tie in the dialogue to the images and help the audience feel a connection with her.

I think you might also do with one shot of her in a non-empty student teaching environment like the lecture hall. This would connect the viewer with the experiences she has had and about which she is talking.

Cheers

Tim
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Major Player

That's a good idea. I may not be able to do the in class shot with her as I've already went on two shoots with her and I hate to make her do another, but I definitely will add in some campus shots so it isn't all her.

I am doing another video in the same style next week so I will get the in class shot with him. I think that will be good. Good advice.
Old March 18th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
One thing that wore on me as time went on is it starts to become just more & more shots of her...It's just that it appears to me "Here I am here. And here I am sitting here. And now I'm posing looking away here. And a close up here."
Exactly this, and the problem is that it makes the piece feel more down than it ought to. It should be wistful, but then also promising because she is moving on into the world and her adult life. This was all just sense of loss and regret.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Exactly this, and the problem is that it makes the piece feel more down than it ought to. It should be wistful, but then also promising because she is moving on into the world and her adult life. This was all just sense of loss and regret.
Well that's probably my fault. I wanted it to have a nostalgic/reflective feel to it where it looks like the students just love this place so much that they really just don't want to leave. Perhaps it didn't work as I intended.
Old April 5th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Here is a updated version of this video. I threw in a few different shots of campus. Does it help the flow at all?

Brock Burwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work