DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Campus Tour (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/532147-campus-tour.html)

Brock Burwell June 27th, 2016 02:21 PM

Campus Tour

Was asked to put this video together and while I know there are a lot of issues with it and I'm not happy with it thus far, I might as well get some feedback from you all. Unfortunately I can't film with the girl again so all the shots with her are stuck the way they are. There are a lot of shots where it's too sunny and it looks bad (especially the last shot). Some things look off, but any and all constructive criticism is welcome.

Mark Williams June 27th, 2016 04:15 PM

Re: Campus Tour

Looks good for what it is. The back lighted scene at 1:51 was a little objectionable. Maybe try to re-work levels on that clip or edit it out and replace with another shot using existing audio.

Brock Burwell June 27th, 2016 05:34 PM

Yea i definitely screwed up the audio before she shows up on camera there. I actually messed it up twice. I didn't get it right the first time and then had her come back and re-record it again in the same place, but it still doesn't sound the same. I'm not great with audio so I'm not exactly sure how to get them to match better, but I'll try to mess with it a bit.

In regards to the backlit scene, I knew the moment I started shooting that it was going to be a problem and I still did it anyway. Live and learn I guess.

Mike Watson June 27th, 2016 10:31 PM

I'm less a stickler for technical stuff (the backlit shot) and more a stickler for bumps in the feel-and-flow of the piece. When she was walking backwards, I wanted that to have a motivation. Also, she talks about 15% too fast the whole time.

It probably wouldn't be my demo reel piece, but when you set it up, I thought "this is gonna be a shit show", and it wasn't, it's a really decent piece. There are shots in here where you out-shoot me. Stuff I wouldn't have thought of. You're a good shooter and editor. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Jody Arnott June 28th, 2016 05:54 AM

Some really nice shots there, the piece has a nice feel.. good work :)

I think that although people like us will really see the issues with that backlit shot, most people wouldn't notice an issue with it. It's probably nothing you did wrong technically - the light is probably just too bright behind the subject.

Brock Burwell June 28th, 2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1917090)
I'm less a stickler for technical stuff (the backlit shot) and more a stickler for bumps in the feel-and-flow of the piece. When she was walking backwards, I wanted that to have a motivation. Also, she talks about 15% too fast the whole time.

It probably wouldn't be my demo reel piece, but when you set it up, I thought "this is gonna be a shit show", and it wasn't, it's a really decent piece. There are shots in here where you out-shoot me. Stuff I wouldn't have thought of. You're a good shooter and editor. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Yea she really did talk fast. I could have done a better job of trying to get her to talk more slowly. I mentioned it several times but it just didn't stick. Perhaps communicating it better would have helped.

Also, what do you mean by her walking backwards needed motivation? Does it seem "off" that she isn't walking toward the camera?

Mike Watson June 28th, 2016 01:30 PM

When I have non-pro talent who is talking too fast (or more rarely too slow), I will eventually just put down the camera and say "let's hear it", and walk them through it a few times. I'll read a few sentences how I want to hear it, and have them repeat it. When they start to get it, I heap on effusive praise. Then when I'm shooting, instead of saying go, I'll lead them in with the first line with a nice, slow steady pace... and then let them repeat the first line (ideally with the same pace).

I want walking backwards to have some motivation. Like she turns and reveals something, or some kind of move or something. I don't think I can articulate why I don't like it very well, but it was awkward to me.

Brock Burwell June 28th, 2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1917117)
When I have non-pro talent who is talking too fast (or more rarely too slow), I will eventually just put down the camera and say "let's hear it", and walk them through it a few times. I'll read a few sentences how I want to hear it, and have them repeat it. When they start to get it, I heap on effusive praise. Then when I'm shooting, instead of saying go, I'll lead them in with the first line with a nice, slow steady pace... and then let them repeat the first line (ideally with the same pace).

Love that advice. Great stuff

Steve Bleasdale July 6th, 2016 03:45 PM

Just my pounds worth, as she is talking then the great footage you have just put that over the talking as a I do in weddings so you hear her but yet then show the footage she is talking about, then now and again show her. Steve uk